Protect the Lambourn

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Rob2cv

Re: Protect the Lambourn

Post by Rob2cv »

Thank you to all those who have already signed.
Firebird wrote: Is this project different to the treated sewage discharges that take place in many rivers? Does the Lambourn have any others. I imagine this would raise the phosphate levels, and I think the Lambourn was relatively low in those compared to some rivers.
As far as I understand the issue, planning permission for the development was granted with the agreement that the sewage from the new houses would be pumped to the local water authority treatment works and then discharged, I believe, into the Kennet. The developers now intend to overide this constraint and use a (cheaper!) passive treatment system and discharge directly into the Lambourn instead.

The local water authority treatment works are monitored and regulated by legislation. What constraints would there be on a private, stand alone treatment plant? Who would be responsible for the upkeep of the plant after the developers have taken their initial profit? These are some of the questions which need to be answered.

It is the fact that this is to be done without any prior public consultation that is the most worrying to me. This could set a dangerous precedent that may affect any river in the future.

Keep signing the petition!

Rob

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

Already signed. This is an absolutely wonderful little river. Lived in Eastbury for a couple of years and the river ran through the village. Used to pop downstream a couple of miles and fish for the brownies. Happy days.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Just signed
Dave

Gal
Ruffe

Post by Gal »

Signed

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

just signed, how dare they even think of getting away with it.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Signed
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Rob2cv

Post by Rob2cv »

Good news for all those who signed the recent petition to stop effluent discharge into the Lambourn...

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home ... -over.html

Rob

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

So, according to the NWN, the LPA (in this case WBC) has, despite the EA and in response to the CEO of the AT, demanded (presumably PDQ) an EIA for an SSSI and SAC. I C. YMMV.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Fisherman1947
Dace

Post by Fisherman1947 »

Signed.
Petitions never get you anywhere the best thing to do is stop buying the fishing license for a year or two hit them in their pockets.
Old fishermen never die they only smell that way.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They may be able then, through fines for not having a licence, to take positive action?

Return to “Other Rivers”