Modern Classic-- ABU Suveran

The ABU Reels forum.
BobH

Modern Classic-- ABU Suveran

Post by BobH »

This is the Best Fixed Spool I have ever owned.

It had the Central Drag Clutch, which were simply fantastic.

There is one on e-bay with an hour to go.

Bob
Last edited by BobH on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

BlackSheep

Re: Modern Classic-- ABU Suveran

Post by BlackSheep »

yep, i will definitely agree with you there sir........................ i have a pair of the 3000M's and there are superb.

Moving Shadow

Post by Moving Shadow »

It gets a rave review here ~

http://www.realsreels.com/reviews/suveran.htm

Best spinning reel of all time according to the author. Brilliantly made though, I have to say. Never had one myself but might have to invest as it seems one would run as well now as it did when made?

Moving Shadow

Post by Moving Shadow »

That's extraordinary!

I looked in 'completed listings' and one went for just £82 three days ago. Think the seller shot himself in the foot by refusing to ship overseas! That's where the big collectors are...

Mind you he has three more. Wonder if he'll flog me one on the cheap?

BobH

Post by BobH »

There is a cheaper version of the Suveran- the ABU -CD6 1000/3000- made in the Far East.

And not a patch on the original Swedish made reels, which often reflects in the price.

Bob
Last edited by BobH on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moving Shadow

Post by Moving Shadow »

I think the one that went for £80 was a Swedish one Bob, well it has 'Made in Sweden' on the foot, can't see the back end clearly. I'm following a few for sale and if one is going reasonably cheap I might be tempted. They look very modern don't they? When were they released on to the market?

BobH

Post by BobH »

Moving,

I think I have had mine for about 15 years ?

Can't really remember.

Bob

Moving Shadow

Post by Moving Shadow »

Oh I see, the clutch is adjusted that way! How brilliant is that?

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

A very smart bit of kit.

Good luck with it's first outing.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I have had a Suveran S4000M since 2002, and at one point had the set and a second 4000, 5 in total, not more than £125 paid for any of them and usually well under as they weren't as popular as they are now, but I found I was collecting for the sake of it so had a thinning out, kept most of the spare spools, had seven 4000 at one point but kept 5 and the best of the reels, also found a shop selling it's abu reels cheap and picked up another four CD6 center drag reels and released them all onto eBay over a couple of weeks during the closed season a couple of years ago while using forums to promote their prowess as barbel reels and the fantastic level of engineering, doubled my money on a few of them and the least i made over the top was £30, a couple went abroad and one went 400m up the road but all went to people that are going to use them, not collectors, which is what reels like these need. Nice to look at, great engineering but better to be on a rod catching fish :wink:

Mine now lives on a modern Martin Bowler bid river barbel rod and occasionally on my Ray Walton Hexagraph Avon no.2, when it's not got it's rolling pin on

Return to “ABU Reels”