How to Catch Them books.Cover illustrations.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Champ
Chub

How to Catch Them books.Cover illustrations.

Post by Champ »

Does any one know who did the illustrations for these please.I was talking to a friend that has some nice examples today and we both remarked how stylish they were.There was no mention in the books themselves so i thought i would ask here :read: :holmes: .......... :Happy:

Cooky
Stickleback

Re: How to Catch Them books.Cover illustrations.

Post by Cooky »

Without looking at my books was it Keith Lindsell??

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

What an interesting question. A short while ago, I happened to be browsing at a full set. To be honest, I’m not convinced they are all by the same artist. Yes, book illustration style but, beyond that they seem stylistically different to me.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

That's a good one to ponder! I only have a handful of the books and of these there are enough similarities in the pictures to suggest it may be the same artist? Not Keith Lindsell though.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

kieth lines did catch more books

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Duckett wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:42 am What an interesting question. A short while ago, I happened to be browsing at a full set. To be honest, I’m not convinced they are all by the same artist. Yes, book illustration style but, beyond that they seem stylistically different to me.

Phil
I am still unsure re my original Q.I am with you Ducket but have not been able to find any information at all on the artist/artists. :Confused: .............

Wamfess
Ruffe

Post by Wamfess »

There is an author W.A. Hunter who I believe co-wrote some of these books. One of his books is "The romance of fish life." Maybe his other works could provide a clue.
Worth a punt?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wamfess wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:43 pm There is an author W.A. Hunter who I believe co-wrote some of these books. One of his books is "The romance of fish life." Maybe his other works could provide a clue.
Worth a punt?
Intriguing. If you search google images for that, there are several different dust jacket and other illustrations on-line. To me, that all appear to be stylistically very different from the book series. However, as an artist friend observed to me about this, a jobbing illustrator (as opposed to the famous ones like Quentin Blake) can do almost any style to a competent level in addition to their preferred style.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”