Mitchell Half Bail Restored (almost)

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Rockape
Rudd

Mitchell Half Bail Restored (almost)

Post by Rockape »

For quite some time now I have been on the verge of breaking down my late father's old half bail Mitchell for spares (mainly because I had so much trouble trying find the right parts for it, not least of all the handle which I had hamfistedly destroyed in an attempt to service it many years ago), but an experimental respray of the rotor worked out so well, that I decided to do a concerted search for period correct parts and totally restore it.

The logo etching is something I have tried and failed to do well in the past, but on the main paint coat it came out spectacularly well....until I lacquered it..sigh, but while not as good as it was, it is still acceptable.

So it has had a full refinish and etch, a replacement main gear (because the handle broke off, leaving the threaded part in the gear shaft, which I could not budge and I ended up loosing too may threads). It also needed an axle and a transfer gear (borrowed the originals for other reels). Oh, and some decent screws.
The original handle was the early metal conical type, but it now has a temporary plastic one.

So here it is (A6xxxx stamped into the reel foot; difficult to read the numbers, even before the refin).
It's not perfect, but it was a lot of fun to do (once I have a good mid version 3 metal handle, I can condsider my work on it done).

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave F
Grayling

Re: Mitchell Half Bail Restored (almost)

Post by Dave F »

It looks good enough to use!
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Dave F wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:51 pm It looks good enough to use!
Thanks Dave F, yeah it runs like new.

I stupidly forgot to post a photo of it before the work, so here are the only 'before' shots I have of it (picture title states 1949, but I believe it to be a 1952 model).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Rockape wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:54 pm

I stupidly forgot to post a photo of it before the work, so here are the only 'before' shots I have of it (picture title states 1949, but I believe it to be a 1952 model).
I was born in 1949 and have a Mitchell from that year. Where yours has a "butterfly" / "boomerang" type anti-reverse lever, the one I have has a knurled knob. I think it is refered to as a Type 2 (Depends what system you us) Mitchell Museum seems to use one that contradicts the info from other TFF members. I know that I was confused (easily done). Google Mitchell reels and your reel is listed 1949 - 1952 I think.....

:fishing1:
:fish:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Nice job Rockape, I am sure your father would be very happy with it.

Wal.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Dave F wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:46 am
Rockape wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:54 pm

I was born in 1949 and have a Mitchell from that year. Where yours has a "butterfly" / "boomerang" type anti-reverse lever, the one I have has a knurled knob. I think it is refered to as a Type 2 (Depends what system you us) Mitchell Museum seems to use one that contradicts the info from other TFF members. I know that I was confused (easily done). Google Mitchell reels and your reel is listed 1949 - 1952 I think.....

:fishing1:
:fish:
Thanks for your reply Dave F.

I recall reading somwhere that 1952 was the start of serial numbers, so if that is true, I would put this at mid 1952..ish (I tend to go with the 1946 start date theory myself).

Yes, the version 2 is my absolute favourite Mitchell reel (just love the small knurled anti reverse knob; here is mine pictured; original finish; 1949 also?). I'm sure the grip on thos was originally metallic red (I hear they also sprayed or anodised them in blue?).

My birth year was 1959 and I have a really nice 3-0-0 from that year.
Last edited by Rockape on Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:55 am Nice job Rockape, I am sure your father would be very happy with it.

Wal.
Thanks Wal, I have tried a refin twice before on a 1975 Mitchell 301 with disasterous results, so this one blew me away, and being my dads reel also was the cream on top.

Yes he would probably want it back..lol! (and I would gladly hand it to him).

Cheers.

Paul

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Just a final post to show you all the final result.

To say I was surprised at how well this turned out is an understatement, and thank you all for your comments.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

That really does look magnificent :Hat:

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Keston wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:13 pm That really does look magnificent :Hat:
Thank you, but I wouldn't put a guarantee on my next one looking like that..lol!

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”