Hardy LRH Advice please

The Hardy Rods forum.
DWW
Grayling

Hardy LRH Advice please

Post by DWW »

Hi
I have a Hardy LRH No 2 with a small "pin" arrangement on the ferrule to keep the rod from loosening whilst set up. To dismantle the rod the pin requires to be pushed in to allow the rod to be broken into two pieces . Does anyone have any advice on an appropriate "tool" or method to make the process an easy one without breaking the pin off please ?
Tight Lines
DWW

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Hardy LRH Advice please

Post by Watermole+ »

The spring loaded pin arrangement is Hardy Bros. "Studlock" method of fastening and is to prevent the rod sections twisting out of alignment whilst casting.
I have the same joint ferrules on my "County" spinning rod and to separate the two sections, simply push in with the fingernail so the pin is below the surface and twist slightly to move the it away from the hole and detach the top section as normal.
If you look closely, you should see a tiny groove across the top of the pin for your fingernail.

It will push in quite easily and no tool is required.

Wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Thanks Watermole. On my rods the spring "pin" is easy to insert when putting the rod sections together but I cannot use a fingernail to depress the pins once locked in place . They require a point or thin object to depress them fully . I have been using various objects but just wondered if there is a specific item or method to use .
Cheers
DWW

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

The pin is flush with the ferrule once inserted if that makes sense ?

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Does this help?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have used a penknife point to move an awkward pin, especially if my hands are cold.

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Thanks Jeremy . The stud that is mentioned does not allow me to depress it whilst engaged without the use of an extra tool.I didn't want to damage it ! Thanks Olly yes my Swiss Army knife has a couple of tools for the job and a baiting needle works too !

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

DWW wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:20 pm Thanks Jeremy . The stud that is mentioned does not allow me to depress it whilst engaged without the use of an extra tool.I didn't want to damage it ! Thanks Olly yes my Swiss Army knife has a couple of tools for the job and a baiting needle works too !
I struggled with mine until I read this. I think I was trying too hard!

You don't have to depress the pin too much if you adopt the technique in the instructions.

The top of the pin is like a ball and with the pin depressed slightly, rotate the joint and the ferrule slides over the pin. The rotation of the joint is the key thing here.

It's all in the wrist action :Hahaha:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”