Sea Trout Fiesta!!

General fly fishing chat area.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Sea Trout Fiesta!!

Post by Santiago »

I'm planning a trip to Scotland with catching sea trout a possibility, so I'm wondering if any of you enlightened chaps know what the best time of year is, to fish for them near river mouths in the sea, before they actually migrate up rivers!

Thanks in advance of your wise words!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Sea Trout Fiesta!!

Post by Liphook »

The further north you go the more likely they are to be in and around estuaries permanently. In Shetland they can be found in the voes year round and we would have a boxing day outing for them if the weather allowed. In Orkney we found it better from late Jan/Feb. Elsewhere mid April to end July will be the peak months and any influx of rainwater can draw them in from the open sea like a magnet. Remember that you still officially need written permission to target them in saltwater in Scotland - not that it's often an issue but some river boards and/or landowners are sticklers and can and throw the book at you particularly if you are spinning.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers, I'll ask at the local club about permission when I buy the permit.

Hemingway

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Liphook wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:51 pm The further north you go the more likely they are to be in and around estuaries permanently. In Shetland they can be found in the voes year round and we would have a boxing day outing for them if the weather allowed. In Orkney we found it better from late Jan/Feb. Elsewhere mid April to end July will be the peak months and any influx of rainwater can draw them in from the open sea like a magnet. Remember that you still officially need written permission to target them in saltwater in Scotland - not that it's often an issue but some river boards and/or landowners are sticklers and can and throw the book at you particularly if you are spinning.
The annoying thing about the legal issue in Scotland is that you’ll find plenty of regular bass lure anglers like me who have caught at least one Sea Trout by accident. I’m strictly catch and return, so the problem is theoretical for me.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

True Phil and with the northern spread of bass stocks that does need addressing, but then again so do many of the 'mixed fishery' rules and regulations! In the vast majority of cases it's not an issue because there's so much coastline, so few anglers and virtually no policing! It's on the river mouths that are well policed that there can be issues. Even then if you approach 1st there are usually understandings to be had in my experience. It's the chancers who are 'bending' the rules by trying to get salmon and sea trout fishing by avoiding association tickets (and their rules!) that cause occassional issues and in fact spoil it for all. There's absolutely masses of great coastal fishing in Scotland but the often limited road access leads to known 'hotspots' where there can be conflicts of interest. Get some distance from your car and you'll find miles and miles of peace, quiet and the ability to do what you like - naked if you want because nobody is there to see or care what you do!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Liphook wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:04 pm True Phil and with the northern spread of bass stocks that does need addressing, but then again so do many of the 'mixed fishery' rules and regulations! In the vast majority of cases it's not an issue because there's so much coastline, so few anglers and virtually no policing! It's on the river mouths that are well policed that there can be issues. Even then if you approach 1st there are usually understandings to be had in my experience. It's the chancers who are 'bending' the rules by trying to get salmon and sea trout fishing by avoiding association tickets (and their rules!) that cause occassional issues and in fact spoil it for all. There's absolutely masses of great coastal fishing in Scotland but the often limited road access leads to known 'hotspots' where there can be conflicts of interest. Get some distance from your car and you'll find miles and miles of peace, quiet and the ability to do what you like - naked if you want because nobody is there to see or care what you do!
All good sensible advice for the responsible angler. On the northern spread of Bass, I read s few months ago that they are spawning in southern Norway! I recall thinking on my last trip to Orkney what wonderful Bass fishing there could be. My most northerly Bass catch so far has been on the Galloway coast.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

My mother's side of the family are Orkadian so I've done my fair share of fishing up there. I find it difficult to pull myself away from the trout fishing but I've had bass when the winds have just been a wee bit wild for the nearby lochs. Westray is as far north as I've had them personally. I've yet to hear of regular bass catches from Shetland waters but it seems that it can only be a matter of time and angling effort.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Oh, I love this thread! Not that I've ever fished for sea trout or bass.
It just reminds me of the most beautiful holidays we've ever had. Shetland and Orkney in 2012, Dumfries and Galloway in 2019. We had booked a campsite on the Galloway coast for August 2020, rescheduled to 2021, rescheduled again ....
I just took the photo books from the shelf and spent some time dreaming of the crystal clear waters, sandeels, terns diving right next to me, my dogs running wild.
I wouldn't recommend fishing naked though, as suggested by our friend Liphook, who must be a very tough guy. It might be an option in the shallow waters of the Solway Firth, but on Orkney or Shetland you should probably wear a wetsuit.

My daughter and I swimming - Meal beach, Burra, Shetland

If I was a sea trout, I'd happily live here.

My dogs and I - Solway Firth

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of your trip, Trevor! But please spare us the naked ones ... :Chuckle:
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I guess I'll try bass fishing as well. I'll be fly fishing.

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Clouser minnows will catch both Santiago. All white/clear, olive backed and chartreuse backed would be my choice in colours. Take a fast sinking line. Wearing hour birthday suits is of course not obligatory :Sun:

Return to “General Fly Chat”