"Redmire" compiled by Tony Meers, published by Harper Angling Books

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Tengisgol
Barbel

"Redmire" compiled by Tony Meers, published by Harper Angling Books

Post by Tengisgol »

I've just finished reading this book and have thoroughly enjoyed it!

I've never been to 'the' pool (I was invited once but declined as it was winter and I didn't want a memory of bare and barren banks) but over the years I have read so much about it that I didn't think another book on the subject would really grab me like it did. I have copies of Redmire Pool by Clifford and Arbery, A Century of Carp Fishing, Historical Carp Waters etc. etc. - in fact so many books referencing Redmire - but this gave something different; a very personal history of the pool, from those there at the very beginning and brought right up-to-date.

The front cover is a beautiful illustration of Dick Walker with 'Ravioli', by Clare Hatcher and the book is littered with excellent photographs (quite a few new ones I sense, that I hadn't seen before).

There are nearly forty contributions from anglers who fished the pool over the years (everyone you would expect, some being extracts from historical writings) to include some very personal anecdotes and reflections on the water, the time they spent there and the people they were with. This includes at least three of 'our own'; our President, May Lang, Stu Harris (Sweetcorn Kid) and Mark Walsingham (Skeff) with the latter giving a real insight into the recent restoration.

Some of my favourite contributions included Pete Climo describing how he first went on an unauthorised visit with two other 'carp-mad teenagers' on their motorbikes, making a run for it when they were shouted at for trespassing. The book immerses you in the magic of Redmire in the fifties, sixties and beyond; you can feel the breeze up in the trees with Roger Bowskill, and what it must have felt like to look down on the monster mirror and the two great commons (that were witnessed too many times to not be true). Chris Ball gives a lovely account under the chapter title of 'The Monster Carp of Redmire Pool.

I adore this photo of Billy Walkeden; look at the shape on that common!

Stephen Harper has recently become a friend following his publication of a friend's book and our work with Wensum Anglers Conservation Association, but I wouldn't have written this unless I could be completely sincere. In fairness, I defy anyone not to agree the production is excellent.

There you go, definitely one for your Christmas List if you haven't scribed it yet.

http://www.harperanglingbooks.co.uk/redmire.html
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: "Redmire" compiled by Tony Meers, published by Harper Angling Books

Post by Mark »

Thank you for the post and link Tengisgol, I have just ordered my copy. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

What a magnificent carp that is!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Liphook wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:50 pm What a magnificent carp that is!
Armour plated!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Looks like a great book. Love that photo, shirt and tie carp fishing!
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Goosequill
Dace

Post by Goosequill »

I have just picked up two copies today (one for myself and another as a Christmas present for a dear friend of mine) at the Carp Society Winter Show. It is indeed a wonderful book with some great images to boot! I have also had the bonus of getting my copies signed by 19 of the contributors who are here today. Im sure this book will find its way onto most of our bookshelves soon....

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

I wouldn’t leave it too long if your thinking of buying a copy, a huge percentage of the run were sold yesterday, poor Steve Harper will have slept well last night. It’s worth the money just for some of the early photos.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Perhaps “poor” is maybe the wrong word !

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

It's on my Christmas list. Just hope it isn't sold out by then. :Beg:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I'm looking forward to my leather-bound copy arriving in next day or two

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”