Hardy "Sheffield Style"

The Hardy Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Hardy "Sheffield Style"

Post by AshbyCut »

I'm a 'tiddler snatcher' at heart, and had recently been re-reading Edward Ensom (Faddist) on the "Sheffield" style of fishing in his 1936 book "Roach Fishing," finding this quote :-

"Just before the war Mr. W. F. Homer (whose 'Flick 'Em' Sheffield style reel is a delightful piece of work), of Forest Gate, did much to popularise Sheffield tactics in the South."

Having recently acquired a pre-war 'Flick 'Em,' I'd been looking for a period rod (ish) to match it to.

Thanks to Bumble I have found one ... and just to show I'm not TOTALLY Precision obsessed ... I will soon be taking possession of a Hardy "Sheffield Style" rod with original bag ... a whole cane butt, spliced whole cane centre section, and split cane tip.

A 'match' made in heaven ? More details when it arrives.

Last edited by AshbyCut on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Hovis
Tench

Re: Hardy "Sheffield Style"

Post by Hovis »

Love this Mal. Cracking looking rod and well done to Bumble for helping. Looks a cracking trotting rod too, light and crisp.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I can hear those diminutive roach and perch quaking in their fins Mal, but be careful, they may flee and only leave the big 'uns for you to catch. :Thumb:

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

That looks like a very nice one Mal, do you know what year it was made?

I had one from 1934, but I sold it as it was so fine in the tip I didn't use it for fear of breaking it.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Lovely looking rod I'm sure you'll be impressed.
Fancy a short Sheffield style match on the Ashby it's only a mile away from me?
I'll bring my Hardy Ideal Roach - anything over 3 ounces doesn't count. :Hahaha:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

AllRounder wrote:Lovely looking rod I'm sure you'll be impressed.
Fancy a short Sheffield style match on the Ashby it's only a mile away from me?
I'll bring my Hardy Ideal Roach - anything over 3 ounces doesn't count. :Hahaha:

Great idea!
Although Mal is the Master snatcher so you may regret issuing a challenge!

PS: I'm in if its an open invitation.
Last edited by LuckyLuca on Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

AllRounder wrote:Fancy a short Sheffield style match on the Ashby it's only a mile away from me?
I have no doubt that something could be arranged in the coming season, Sir !!! I'll be scouring my worms in anticipation !!! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

That sounds very much like the gauntlet has been thrown down! :Chuckle: We must discuss details at some point.

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

There's an interesting chapter on the Sheffield style of angling in a B V book - British Sports past and present - complete with an ink sketch by the great man himself. I'm not sure I'm at liberty to show an extract here. I'll lend it to you if you win!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

AllRounder wrote:That sounds very much like the gauntlet has been thrown down! :Chuckle: We must discuss details at some point.
I think you threw it, Sir ... I simply picked it up. :Wink:

It may be that others may pick it up also ... we'll see !

(There's a section from Snarestone to Carlton Bridge, just above Market Bosworth, which is covered by an SSSI ... and north of that is on a Snarestone AC ticket, I believe ... but something based around the Sutton Cheney Wharf could be a possible venue.)

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”