Barbour - fake or not?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Weyfarer

Barbour - fake or not?

Post by Weyfarer »

I have come by an old "Barbour" jacket, three quarter length, no tartan lining, no proper studs and what to me looks very much like a fake label. However, there is no attempt to copy a proper label so is this jacket perhaps a mid-war "austerity" jacket. Barbour expert comments please.

Dave

Re: Barbour - fake or not?

Post by Dave »

I too recently bought a Barbour off EBay. I am chuffed with it...its the Northumberland and I only paid about £30 odd quid for it. The reason I bought it was that years ago (more than 20), I had a couple of Barbour's that my dad got for me and for years they sat in the back of my old Landrover and were used for fishing, shooting, the labrador's basket, a mat to lie on when the Landrover broke down and all manner of other things. They were great coats and, at the time, probably the best type of outdoor coat available but now many more modern fabrics have probably super seeded them.

I'm not sure about yours Weyfarer....perhaps someone will know. What I did read the other day is that Barbour are sending out about 25 letters a day to various people who are allegedly copying/faking their goods. This compared to the odd letter they had to send years ago. I believe they have had something of a resurgence recently...certainly the kids at the school where I work are wearing Barbour coats...a kind of quilted garment.

They are quite expensive new but there are some bargains on EBay if anyone wants a more lived in look like yours....

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Dave wrote:certainly the kids at the school where I work are wearing Barbour coats...a kind of quilted garment.
They are quite expensive new but there are some bargains on EBay if anyone wants a more lived in look like yours....
I have always been a fan of Barbour as a functional item of clothing and so was somewhat taken aback when my 15 year daughter said she wanted a quilted Barbour jacket - but not for fishing in I suspect!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Whilst it does not list your label, contact the folk at Barbour @ http://www.barbour.com/counterfeit-education, they may be able to give you more information. But the label does look a tad dodgy.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Merlot wrote:But the label does look a tad dodgy.
I agree. It looks to have been sewn on without much care. I would have thought that it would have had a neater finish. That is not to say that the coat is not old. Perhaps an iffy label in an original coat?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I can't comment on the coat but the label looks fake on the basis that there are two logos, one reading Barbours and the other just Barbour.

No brand would refer to itself like that. The company is Barbour not Barbours.

Right now somebody will prove it's genuine.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

I've since found out (but not entirely believable) that Barbour were comissioned to make special jackets for HM Forces and they were similar to my one.

Sadly, Snape, Barbour clothes along with Hunter wellies and Orvis countrywear were hijacked by the "smart set" some years back.

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

There are many fake Barbour websites, I emailed Barbour last year about one in particular that was a co.uk address and very convincing, ripping off the official site completely but with prices that were just too good to be true. Some make entertaining reading!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Wandering Mark

Post by Wandering Mark »

I visited a 2nd hand shop not long ago who had a whole rail of wax coats some Barbour and some other brands priced at £10-£15. I'll be going back on pay day.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”