Matt Hayes new centre pin.

The Other Reels forum.
Davyr

Re: Matt Hayes new centre pin.

Post by Davyr »

GarryProcter wrote: As a lad I used to fish waters close to Biddulph, Knypersley Reservoir, and the Serpentine (years before they were 'prettified' and became a 'country park').
Funny you should mention that, Garry -I'm intending to join Victoria & Biddulph AS when I retire at the end of the year, mainly so that I can fish those very waters!

I'm only kidding about Biddulph, of course (although it was a genuinely dangerous place in Victorian times) - I used to be a frequent attender of the folk club at the Biddulph Arms and have been to some good concerts (including Fairport Convention) at the Town Hall.

Does the missus come originally from Biddulph then, Stu?

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

When I fished them Cheshire Anglers had the rights to them, but you could buy day tickets for Knypersley from the bailiff's house just opposite the reservoir. We used to sit fishing for roach etc. on the Serpentine, watching carp leap next to the opposite bank. Of course we thought they were uncatchable - and they almost certainly were with our limited tackle! I fear that the Serpentine might now be filled with 'serious' carpers, unlikely to be traditional. We used to catch hordes of small roach and rudd. Knypersley was the 'big fish' water, and I used to prefer it. Many happy memories. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did way back then.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

GarryProcter wrote: I fear that the Serpentine might now be filled with 'serious' carpers, unlikely to be traditional.
I think you're right there - but from what I hear, the long uphill slog from the car park is enough to put off all but the keenest! I don't think anybody bothers much with the other species, so I'm hoping to get some undisturbed roach fishing in...

p.s. There's no night fishing, and the traditional close season is still observed, so that's enough to put off most "serious carpers". :cool:

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

That sounds like good news Davy - I didn't know that night fishing is not allowed. That uphill slog is a testing one. We often used to get dropped off at the other end (there was no car park then), if we could persuade a parent to take us, and walk around that way. Or we would cycle there, which itself was a slog from Cobridge. The small 'castle pool' on that side always looked very inviting, but I don't remember us ever catching anything there, even though it is actually part of the reservoir. The pike fishing used to be good, and I remember catching my (then) biggest roach from the reservoir (we actually weighed it), it was 1lb 4 oz, though we imagined it to be much heavier, and doubted the Little Samsons! I've just remembered that there used to be a pool at the bottom of the dam - we called it the millpool. No idea who has the fishing there now. I remember us reading FJT on deadbaiting and trying our luck there with rather large herrings. No one caught anything.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Is your Mill Pool the bit marked "No Fishing Area" on this map (or is that the Castle Pool)?:

http://www.vbas.4t.com/Pool%20Map%20Knype.htm

Sorry, another thread is probably called for!

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Yes, apologies for taking the thread way off track... The 'No Fishing Area' is what we called the 'Castle Pool' - the 'Millpool' is at the base of the dam, which is where the far right hand 'Parking' area is indicated.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Ah, thanks - that's interesting. I've only been "oop 'ere" since 1986, so fairly ignorant of the earlier history of what is now Greenway Bank Country Park!

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

The wife's Nan and aunts and unvles are from Stoke. We've managed to see them all today and are well on our way home now approaching Birmingham. I managed to get that cup of tea along with wonderful cod and chips with mooshy peas! They don't half talk odd up here!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

Glad to hear the visit was a success SK. Just be grateful that no one you met spoke proper Potteries dialect. I only ever knew one person who spoke it as their 'normal' tongue. My Uncle Charlie, who was born in London but moved to Stoke and somehow assimilated the lingo. He was very difficult to understand much of the time - my (then) girlfriend hadn't believed my stories of him, as a Northwood (Middx) College lady I suspect she believed the whole world (except me) spoke in RP. She (now Mrs GP) just stood and gaped at Uncle Charlie while he jabbered on at her. Hilarious (well, you had to be there).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Funny you should say that. There was one young cousin present, speaks really fast and with a strong gravy accent. Only caught the odd word and found myself just nodding most of the time...
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Other Reels”