NuFloat

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: NuFloat

Post by AshbyCut »

MaggotDrowner, Sir ... you have PM
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

The rod has arrived! It looks nice, just as I was expecting, but definitely isn't fit for fishing just yet. As far as I can tell there only seem to be a few issues.

1. Metal piece from the bottom of the mid section is stuck inside the top of bottom section.
What would be the best way to free it?

2. The metal piece at the bottom of the tip section comes off the rod. This will need gluing and whipping back in place I guess.
How should I do this? Are there any instructions on the web that are clear for complete novices?

3. The metal piece at the bottom of the tip section has a split in it. Because of the split it is too big to fit together with bottom of the mid section.
Will this need replacing? If so where can I get a replacement?

4. The metal piece at the bottom of the tip section when pushed as far as it will go on the bottom of the mid section, doesn't sit flush.
Does this matter? I assume this will sort it's self when I do the other bits.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

AshbyCut, I have replied.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

to free the joints stuck inside each other wrap a damp cloth around cane on the female ferrule and gently heat the female ferrule and when it expands you should be able to pull the male ferrule out, just be careful with the heat because you dont need much
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I was thinking about heating it with a lighter or over a pan of boiling water. It sounds like a plan! Thanks.

Is wood glue any good for sticking it back on, or is there a special type I should use?

Anyone got any advice for how to do whipping?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

when i have done it i rotated it above the gas cooker not in the flame just above thats why you need the damp cloth to keep the cane cool also make sure male ferrule is not heated
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Oh, I see. I'm going to have a go tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on with it.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I tried the method of heating it over the stove and it worked perfectly within seconds! Thanks very much Gord! =)

Now I need to replace the ferrules. I'm not sure how to remove them. Do they go down inside the cane? How would I get them out without splitting the cane?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Cutting them with a wheel on a high-speed tool like a Dremel is popular, if you have one?

Otherwise they can be cut length-wise with careful strokes from a junior hacksaw.

The hardest ones to get off are the blind-ended male ferrules, or ferrule counters ,as they were once called. A flash of heat might well do it as the glue used seems to have been 'cobblers black' or some such heat-sensitive glue.( It has a delicious smell of coal cellars...or perhaps that's just my nose)

If that fails, I'd file or saw the blind end off so that you can now drift the cane out from the re-heated ferrule counter with a wooden dowel.

I presume that you are intending to replace the ferrules?

Have you sourced more yet...they can be the devil to find!

And have you been made aware that new ferrules very rarely go on straight? This invariably means heating the cane right next to the ferrule to 'correct' the kink that has been made in the rod. This can mean varnish damage if it is less than a year old.

It's do-able .... but it isn't always as straightforward as one hopes it will be.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Gosh, that sounds complicated! I don't have one of those wheels.

I don't know what you mean by a "blind-ended" male ferrules. What is one of these?

The ferrules definitely need to go. One of them has a massive split in it, which means it is to big to attach the tip section to the rod! Terrible for a rod that was sold as usable.

This business of kinks in the rod after replacing the ferrules sounds scary.

Where is the best place to find replacement ferrules, eBay?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”