NuFloat

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Waterlogged

NuFloat

Post by Waterlogged »

Hi Chaps,

I am the proud owner of one of these but i know absolutely nothing about it.

Can anyone enlighten me ?

(i will only laugh at the first three people who say its a fishing rod, the rest well will feel the wrath of the smilies :hairout: )

Davyr

Re: NuFloat

Post by Davyr »

There are some photos of one (third item down) here:

http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... Sealey.asp

Not one of the commoner Sealey rods - at least I've not been aware of many coming up for sale compared with say, Octofloats.

Looks like a nice rod! :thumb:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

It's a fishing rod :chuckle:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think they are a late, two-fishes-logo rod similar to the Octofloat, possibly even replacing it. Not many about because the company was bought out soon after they made them.

Waterlogged

Post by Waterlogged »

thanks DavyR, i have seen this page before, mine is 12 foot rather than the 11'6" quoted but other wise identical in fixtures and fittings, its a great allrounder ! ive caught every from the smallest roach (how do they consume a size 12 hook) to double figure carp with it.

id love to find a Sealey catalogue with it listed, but i think there's more chance of me buying and burning a Judd senior wizard !

what can i say Loop ? er oh yeh, Strike One :laugh: !

cheers Nobby, it is a two fishies rod, i dont have an Octofloat (yet) to compare, do you know when they were bought out ? ive read that its a fifties model but cant find any other information.

are there any Sealey experts out there ?????

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The Nufloat will be a late Sixties rod, I think. I have a Sealey Catalogue from 1967 and it's not in there, so it's either been dropped or is yet to be created. The two-fishes logo came in around 1964, I think.
By 1967 they are only making a couple of cane rods, and only one of them a coarse rod, the Octofloat DeLuxe.

It seems to me that they might have thought if confusing to carry on using the word Octofloat, when they had dropped the octopus logo for the two fishes one.

It seems they were taken over by Gladding, an American company in the early Seventies, who also bought out the famous South Bend Bait Company. There was a temporary tie-up with Intrepid too, I think.

Remember that the images on inthenet and the text with them are all lifted from other sources, so nothing is checked or verified, it's just an image repository, a lot of it sourced from eBay.

Waterlogged

Post by Waterlogged »

It being a late sixties rod makes more sense, even the use of acetate transfers (logo and name) does point to its later production.
I don't think it would be a huge leap to say that it could be a re-branded Octofloat deluxe, maybe a last ditched attempt to rejuvenate sales. ill have to find one to do a vernier comparison.
Also quite possible is that it could have been a cheapened down version to make them viable against the new fangled fibreglass !
Its such a shame there isn't more information about such a well known brand.
After all they must have made some quality products as there are still so many around !

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I forgot, I do have another Sealey catalogue...from 1969, when Terry Thomas came on board after the demise of Milwards. Only the Octofloat DeLuxe left in cane.

Waterlogged

Post by Waterlogged »

Does anybody else know of any catalogues around the change to the 'two fish logo era' or post buy out' by one of the destroyers of the UK tackle industry ?

Im not bitter :wink:

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I've just purchased one of these but I haven't received it yet so I haven't been able to have a play with it yet. Do you think it will be able to handle pike or am I better getting another rod for my pike fishing?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”