Perch on small dead bait

This forum is for discussing perch.
Isis
Perch

Re: Perch on small dead bait

Post by Isis »

Yes you can Mark. I've successfully used dead minnows, bleak and gudgeon for perch. Although far from being a small deadbait, last year I had a good one on the tail half of a joey mackerel and this year have done it again but a little smaller this time. Both whilst Piking.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Stewart Bloor has had perch from the Staffs & Worcester canal on half-gudgeon deadbaits - both heads and tails.

http://www.sicm.org/anglingdiary/0303.May162009.html

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

They are also good for big winter chub. Some years ago in December, my son (then 12) had a 5lb 12oz chub on 1/2 a mackeral meant for pike. But I suspect one would not catch perch on sea baits.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Isis
Perch

Post by Isis »

Isis wrote:Yes you can Mark. I've successfully used dead minnows, bleak and gudgeon for perch. Although far from being a small deadbait, last year I had a good one on the tail half of a joey mackerel and this year have done it again but a little smaller this time. Both whilst Piking.
Further to my input on deadbaits. I have found the pic I took of the second perch I mentioned. It took a half mackerel , I tightened on it , set the hook and reeled it across the top whereupon there was a great swirl and it went solid for a second or two. Then it came in with the marks you can see on its flank! Reckon the pike was really p***** off that it's breakfast had been snaffled by a stripey.

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Davyr wrote:Stewart Bloor has had perch from the Staffs & Worcester canal on half-gudgeon deadbaits - both heads and tails.

http://www.sicm.org/anglingdiary/0303.May162009.html
The same location I have had my PB perch at 3.5lb :) on a spinner.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

For some reason the perch in the Macc Canal won't look at spinners! :(

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

What a revelation. I never thought about dead baits for perch! I always assumed the perch respond to the movement of live baits and lures. I bet you get less perch and more pike using dead baits though?

Even if you are after perch I would still advise using wires traces. I have landed pike before with a treble hook tied straight to line stuck in their mouths before I caught them with my lures. Obviously the pike bit through the line and was stuck with a hook and a three foot of line its its mouth before I took it out along with my lure. It was lucky that the line didn't stop the fish from feeding!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I`ve had Perch on large white bait, it doubles my odds where I fish, as there are also chub present.........Other than that I`m with Jerry..

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Yes, I would always use a trace if there is any chance of pike or zander in the area. The Staffs Worcester canal, which is where I have done most of my intense perch fishing over the years, does not have any pike or zander in the areas I fish. There are some reports of pike much further towards the Worcester end of the canal together with zander creeping closer. I shall be looking at the new 'Lynx' range of traces when I get the chance to visit my local tackle shop. These have been highlighted by Des Taylor (love him or loathe him...) on his Facebook page. For me they need to be as supple as possible with wire diameter then coming second.

*edited due to incorrect spelling and bad grammar, sorry*
Last edited by Kevanf1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

It has been said above that perch in some waters will pick up dead baits. I have caught them by design from the only 3 waters I have tried to catch perch on dead baits from. Certainly perch are triggered by movement and vibration but they will still pick up a static dead bait on the deck.

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”