Fishing on my birthday

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

Fishing on my birthday

Post by Iasgair »

It was a cool misty day with the clouds hanging low in the sky. Pretty nice if you ask me.

Pastor Tim and I went to fish the staircase on the South Saint Vrain because he couldn't fish fish very long. The water was very low as you will see in the photos and the fish were tucked in tight if they were there at all. It was certainly a day where the Vrain took Pastor Tim and I to school.

Here I am at the lower section of the staircase. It's a section that has many different tiers and during mid summer it holds a few fish. Today was another story.

As I was fishing I happened to glace up at the low clouds and out of the clouds came a bald eagle flying about twenty feet over my head. I couldn't help but think how awesome it is to see our national bird so close in the wild like this. I even noticed it looked down at me and that was pretty awesome.

Here's the creek and you can see just how low it was.

One of the locals out for a walk.

There's really not much to report. Pastor Tim was up on the bank watching me as I was casting to every nook and cranny in this section. It wasn't easy fishing at all and I tried subsurface and dries. After a long while I finally hooked into a fish. Not the biggest thing in the creek but it sure was a pretty fish.

I think fishing the Vrain is over for the year. I have heard that there are browns to be caught down the creek near the town of Firestone during winter so I may try that this year if the water doesn't freeze. I'll let you know if I do and how I do. But from this time through Autumn and winter, I will be focusing more on tying flies for next year and the tying expo that will be happening in a few months.

I thought for sure I'd catch a fish or two here, but there wasn't anything. This was a sign that the Vrain has closed for the season, but not literally.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Fishing on my birthday

Post by Tengisgol »

Fabulous read, thank-you.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

What a great account of your outing, the misty, murky pictures are wonderful! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Great write up - many happy returns :cheers:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Amazing write up iasgair. At least ye caught yer burthday fish,and a fine looking broonie too. The terrain looks a hard trek to say the least,and those fish must be almost under the rocks. Well done for persevering when the elements were against you. That bald eagle must have been a great sight to have seen,if only I were so lucky with the golden over here. Great photos too,it’s hard to comprehend just how steep the creek is.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Really enjoyed that mate, your in a lovely part off the world there! "Out in sticks" we call it.
"Marvellous"
Ps.... I will be getting my fly tying vice out again this winter.
Tight lines
Mark
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Great write up & photos again, stunning scenery, many happy returns :Hat:

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I completely forgot, Happy Birthday! :huray:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Happy birthday Teryll, that was a very enjoyable read.

I read a very interesting article on our friend the other day, if I find it I'll message you the link

Return to “General Fly Chat”