Hardy's Richard Walker Avon & Carp Palakona rods.

The Hardy Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Hardy's Richard Walker Avon & Carp Palakona rods.

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I recently purchased a Richard Walker Palakona Hardy's of England Avon rod 10 feet long in 2 sections marked on the cane with the date letters B/S which I believe dates the rod to February 1967. The rod is noted to have a 1lb test curve and does not have an alloy butt cap and is instead closed off in cork.

I believe Hardy's made the Richard Walker Palakona Avon and Carp rods for possibly 2 or 3 years only in the late 1960s before switching to glass rods instead but I would appreciate some accurate and reliable information if anyone can assist.

I am also trying to discover if the Hardy's Richard Walker Palakona Carp rod had a test curve of 1.5lbs which would make it compatible with a B.James Richard Walker MkIV. Denton who used to frequent this Forum some years ago had a Hardy's Richard Walker Palakona Carp rod which he was selling back in 2017 I think and maybe someone on here bought it?

If anyone uses one of these Hardy Richard Walker Palakona Carp rods I would be delighted for any information regarding the rod in use.

Many thanks.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Hardy's Richard Walker Avon & Carp Palakona rods.

Post by Olly »

Had a quick look at Turner's Guide.
It shows RW Avon and RW Carp made only 1969. No mention of Palakona though. Just bamboo.
The letter B is from 1969 as well - I cannot remember what month the S is for but there is a chart somewhere.

Never used or held one

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Olly wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:42 pm Had a quick look at Turner's Guide.
It shows RW Avon and RW Carp made only 1969. No mention of Palakona though. Just bamboo.
The letter B is from 1969 as well - I cannot remember what month the S is for but there is a chart somewhere.

Never used or held one
Thanks Olly that is great - many thanks indeed. Palakona appears on the script applied to the rod. I assume the test curve information for the Carp version is not given - if it is available I would be most grateful as it will determine whether I go in search for one or not.

As for the Avon version it is a fine rod as you would expect and I like it alot.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:Hat:
Avon = 1lb - - - Carp = 1.5lb - - -
Found what you are looking for in the Hardy 1968 catalogue:-
https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... y-1968.pdf

The website - www - splitcaneinfo.com - has many Hardy catalogues - mainly Game rods though.

I also found I had this in another post: -
First letter is the month (January-F, February-B, March-C, April-D, May-E, June-G, July-H, August-I, September-J, October-K, November-L, December-M). For the year letter, the X sometimes looks more like a lambda!

Which alters the date of the rod to February - 1967- - ? :Scared:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Olly wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:35 pm :Hat:
Avon = 1lb - - - Carp = 1.5lb - - -
Found what you are looking for in the Hardy 1968 catalogue:-
https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... y-1968.pdf

The website - www - splitcaneinfo.com - has many Hardy catalogues - mainly Game rods though.

I also found I had this in another post: -
First letter is the month (January-F, February-B, March-C, April-D, May-E, June-G, July-H, August-I, September-J, October-K, November-L, December-M). For the year letter, the X sometimes looks more like a lambda!

Which alters the date of the rod to February - 1967- - ? :Scared:
Excellent stuff Olly - you are obviously a top sleuther. Splendid that the Hardy Richard Walker Carp Palakona rod has a 1.5tc as it means it is not a broom handle but an equivalent to a B.James Mk IV so my search for one of these gems starts today. I am fishing with the Hardy Richard Walker Avon tomorrow for a Tench or Crucian although the pool also contains the inevitable Common and Mirror Carp.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The Carp rod feels lighter to me than a typical James example but since the latter varied so much it'll come down to comparing individual rods. The Hardy Avon feels a sharper faster taper than the James – or at least it does based on the examples of both that I have experience of. I'm told both Hardy rods were built exactly to Walker's tapers.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,

I've recently entered my Hardy Richard Walker Palakona Carp Rod into the next Angling Auctions sale in the autumn, if you can wait that long and nothing better shows up. It is a nearly mint example with original bag and is dated 1967. Incidently it is accompanied by my Avon example too.

Regards,
Dok

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”