Altex rear (service) cover question ... and drag washers

The Hardy Reels forum.
Fenns
Stickleback

Altex rear (service) cover question ... and drag washers

Post by Fenns »

I've recently rejoined this forum after an enforced hiatus of some years - such that I could no longer remember my log in details and have been reborn, chrysalis-like to start afresh. Already people have been most helpful with my Abu reel query and I'm hoping someone can assist here.

I have two Altex No.2 Mk IVs - one is a user/keeper and the other which I may let go. Both have plain rear service covers whereas all library photos show them with various patent no.s embossed. Does this mean both my reels have replacement covers or have they simply worn over the years?

Is it still possible to find 'correct' replacement covers somewhere?

Secondly, both reels are missing the felt drag washer (last washer in the spool stack) and I was wondering where I could source replacements?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Simon

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: Altex rear (service) cover question ... and drag washers

Post by Silfield »

Have you taken the cover plates off and checked the underside? My Altex came with a 'plain' plate but on removing it I found all the stamps on the rear side.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Fenns
Stickleback

Re: Altex rear (service) cover question ... and drag washers

Post by Fenns »

First thing I did but both are plain on both sides. They are 60-70 year old reels so not entirely surprised they may have been misplaced/damaged and replaced by (probably home-made) less expensive Hardy originals but it would be good to find a proper cover even if it's disproportiantely expensive!

Thnank you for taking an interest.

Return to “Hardy Reels”