Views and Opinions Please on the Hardy Richard Walker Avon Cane rod

The Hardy Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Views and Opinions Please on the Hardy Richard Walker Avon Cane rod

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Although like many I have said I won't try and acquire another rod I am tempted to try and find one of the above. Bearing in mind I already have a B.James Mk IV Avon albeit not the very first version and an Allcocks Avon Superb would the Hardy rod be a worthwhile option? Thanks.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Views and Opinions Please on the Hardy Richard Walker Avon Cane rod

Post by Olly »

Personally - I think they are expensive, very expensive. I have 2 BJ Avons and the Allcocks Avon (plus others) - which are sufficient for my needs.

I think a new custom made rod could be perhaps a better investment along the lines of an Avon type. There seem to be several choices available for a similar cost.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A tough one really as we all have our favourite makers but my opinion would be to go for it. Hardy cane is a cut above most of the more freely available options.

Wal.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Olly wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:18 pm Personally - I think they are expensive, very expensive. I have 2 BJ Avons and the Allcocks Avon (plus others) - which are sufficient for my needs.

I think a new custom made rod could be perhaps a better investment along the lines of an Avon type. There seem to be several choices available for a similar cost.
Thanks for your reply Olly - much appreciated. I am not looking at the investment side of this - it is all about using a really nice period rod. Indeed the Hardy option is expensive which may be due to rarity of course. It occurred to me however, that being a later produced rod than the B.James Avon Walker may have in fact modified the taper to produce an improved rod.

My own B.James Avon is a London- England version but I had chance to handle a much earlier B.James Avon and it was an absolute dream and was sold by Barder for around £1,650 I believe. I understand the early rods were built on Southwell cane and perhaps it is that fact that made it feel a much better rod although why Southwell was able to buy better cane than others is a mystery to me.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:54 pm A tough one really as we all have our favourite makers but my opinion would be to go for it. Hardy cane is a cut above most of the more freely available options.

Wal.
Thanks Wal - actually I don't really have a favourite maker. For me it is all about using the rod and how it feels in use and I am tempted to go for either the Hardy Walker Cane Avon or try for a very early B.James Mk IV Avon.

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”