Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Allcocks "Harvey Torbett" 10ft Avon

Post by Beresford »

Here's a link to some images of my example that was restored by Clive Young at some point in its life:

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... =28&t=8768

I don't have the rod with me at the moment so I can't measure the handle. Have to admit to really liking the reel seat and the security it adds. I've long thought this was an important facet of the original design, aimed squarely at the young angler, and was chose to ensure their reel remained well secured to the rod.
Last edited by Beresford on Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Beresford wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:56 pm Here's a link to some images of my example that was restored by Clive Young at some point in it's life:

I don't have the rod with me at the moment so I can't measure the handle. Have to admit to really liking the reel seat and the security it adds. I've long thought this was an important facet of the original design, aimed squarely at the young angler, and was chose to ensure their reel remained well secured to the rod.
:Hat: It looks nice too. Your female ferule on the second joint is reinforced whereas the standard one isn't. Personally I think yours is a big improvement making it so much stronger. :Thumb:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Beresford wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:56 pm Here's a link to some images of my example that was restored by Clive Young at some point in it's life:

Thanks for the pictures, I really doubt there will be a original reel seat available anywhere and for any price, so using normal rings is probably a necessity if I want to use the rod. Unless you have one stashed away for a rainy day lol....

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 pm
Thanks for the pictures, I really doubt there will be a original reel seat available anywhere and for any price, so using normal rings is probably a necessity if I want to use the rod. Unless you have one stashed away for a rainy day lol....

Thanks
BB
You may be better off down that route. I have found the thread on mine to be quite fine. It takes a lot of revolutions to lock the reel in.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I've removed the reel seat on mine to try it with bands.
The reel seat feels a bit clumsy in my opinion.
I may replace the reel seat at some point though?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:23 pm I've removed the reel seat on mine to try it with bands.
Hi Jeremy, is there any chance you could check that the length of the handle is 25.5 inch, and what is the handle diameter please.

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:08 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:23 pm I've removed the reel seat on mine to try it with bands.
Hi Jeremy, is there any chance you could check that the length of the handle is 25.5 inch, and what is the handle diameter please.
Also is there any chance you could weigh it please.

Thanks
BB

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thanks
BB
If it helps, my handle (original) is 25.5 inches long. Mixed measures due to my calipers. The handle diameter is 23mm, expanding to 28 at the trumpet at the ferrule end. The butt end has an aluminium cup (standard Sealey).
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

MGs wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 am

Thanks
BB
If it helps, my handle (original) is 25.5 inches long. Mixed measures due to my calipers. The handle diameter is 23mm, expanding to 28 at the trumpet at the ferrule end. The butt end has an aluminium cup (standard Sealey).
Thank you so much, that really does help....

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

A question for you rod builders out there, for simplicity and ease I'm going to use wood dowel as the base for my homemade Harvey Torbett handle. Is there any preference as to what type of wood would be most suitable in dowel form....

Thanks
BB

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”