Loading a centrepin

The Other Reels forum.
Tony1964

Loading a centrepin

Post by Tony1964 »

Now that I own such an item, does anyone have any tips for loading it with line?

Are some lines better suited than others for long trotting for example? Do I need to use any kind of backing material? Do I fill the spool up to the top?

Any tips will be appreciated :wink:

SeanM
Tench

Re: Loading a centrepin

Post by SeanM »

Don't over load your pin with line. 50 to 60 yards is usually more than adequate and the easiest way is to measure the diameter of the drum and multiply it by three (or pi if you're a bit anal). This gives the amount of line per turn of the reel, so a 4 inch drum will retrieve about a foot of line per revolution and 50 yards is 150 revolutions.

Floating lines are best for trotting and Drennan Floatfish and WB Clarke Match Line are good. Matchline is fairly thin so the 6lb breaking strain is fine. Personally I like braid as it's pretty much unsinkable and I find 6 or 8lb Berkley Fireline Crystal works well. I use a hook link of about a foot of Reflo Power line in an appropriate breaking strain with the braid.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Thanks Sean, the reel I have has a narrow drum but it is very large in diameter at 4.75 inches. I will have to get some floating line to go on it. The Maxima line that I have been using for floater fishing seems to lay nicely on the surface without too much difficulty but it isn't really classed as a floating line.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Interesting, I was going to spool mine with Maxima for tomorrows trip, but I shall have a rethink now.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Interesting, I was going to spool mine with Maxima for tomorrows trip, but I shall have a rethink now.
It's a good all round line SK but it doesn't really fall into either camp, floating or sinking. I would say it is one of the better lines to use if you travel light and only take one reel or one spool.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Any advice re some kind of backing material or can I load line directly onto the spool?

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Straight onto the spool, I'd say - unlike a fixed-spool reel, you don't need to load a centrepin to the maximum in order to cast properly with it.

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Thanks guys :thumb:

Return to “Other Reels”