H H Norris or W H Norris?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

H H Norris or W H Norris?

Post by Fredline »

I have just bought this gem of a ferrule less rod for the princely sum of £10 and I was more than willing to pay that much. It is as straight as a die, 12' 9, very Roachy' and does not appear to have been shortened in its lifetime. The tip section has had a non threaded swing tip adaptor fitted and the rest of that section looks original. The other 2 sections have had the cane nodes and female end whipped in a lighter colour. The logo has been written in beautiful hand writing. It was sold as H H Norris but looks like W H Norris Leamington Spa and what could be R H H or R H W. I cannot decide whether the finish is original or not. Any ideas?

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Fredline on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: H H Norris or W H Norris?

Post by Olly »

What a great looking rod - I admire the work involved in ferruleless cane rods. It looks old from the handwriting and has had some amendments!

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Bob Brookes is your man for these. Knocker Norris. Bob knew him as a child.
Last edited by LuckyLuca on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

My "Imperial" fly rod says. W H Norris.When I visited his shop as a child we always called him Mr Norris but his mates called him Bill or "Knocker" so I think it's W not H.But Bob Brookes will know better than me.
Mark Davies

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

A Bob Southwell blank, without doubt! :Hahaha: To be serious though, it is a fine looking rod and very useable, I look forward to seeing it finished! :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Excellent rods, they really are, and yes it's W H Norris. I'll leave Bob to give you the full story about Knocker.

I love those slightly tapered ferruless joints often used in whole cane rods, I think it's one of those skilled Japanese things that was handed down and used by British pole makers.

Wal.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Lea Dweller wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 am A Bob Southwell blank, without doubt! :Hahaha: To be serious though, it is a fine looking rod and very useable, I look forward to seeing it finished! :Hat:
You are right about the Southwell blank but you must also note that the logo is Kenny Kendals handwriting.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Fredline wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:06 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 am A Bob Southwell blank, without doubt! :Hahaha: To be serious though, it is a fine looking rod and very useable, I look forward to seeing it finished! :Hat:
You are right about the Southwell blank but you must also note that the logo is Kenny Kendals handwriting.
I am trying to be serious, the writing is clearly not that of Kenny Kendal, it is a distant relative of the Abu family called Sleitov And! :Hat:

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Fredline: Check out, THE STORY OF A ROD, in my personal fishing stories in August 2017. I have also written other pieces about Knocker (W H Norris) elsewhere.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

.........also, check out Bill (Knocker) Norris in Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops on TFF.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”