Is Chris a Cult

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
GloucesterOldSpot

Re: Is Chris a Cult

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Vole wrote:I seem to remember it was one of the Gibbinson brothers who gave us the term "ultra-cult" - think Rick(?) coined it and Jim mentioned it in an article. I always thought it would make a great name for a band.
No sooner identified than targetted, one of the scene adopted the pen-name Matt Black, (it was said someone might get rich by selling matt black loo paper in packs of a dozen sheets with a picture of a carp on the label - substitute realshrub for matt black and here we go again), and took the Mickey royally.
To digress a bit, it was nothing compared to match-anglers ribbing each other. Frank Barlow's accounts of the Midlands match scene were enough to justify buying the A.T., and before him, "Snide Rumours and Dirty Lies" (Coarse Fisherman?) was, in itself, something of a cult - if you were mentioned, you were definitely on the scene. Like most readers, I was left wondering who the hell all these people were, but you could catch the "buzz" of the match scene, even at third hand.
It was Tim Paisley who wrote under the pseudonym Matt Black. 'Snide Rumours...' was in a carp magazine I think (early Carpworld?) whereas 'Mudslinger' was the equivalent in one of David Hall's publications.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Thank you, GOS.
It's me age... what was I meant to be doing?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Ron Clay

Post by Ron Clay »

I'm sure that was "Black Lizard" - the name Tim Paisley wrote under in Carp World.

And also my friend "The Monk" used to tell of the exploits of his Manchester Carp Group at that time.

Some of the members of that group were:

"Gut Bucket", "Jayce the Ace", "The Boggart Bivvy Butler", "Ming" and "Gayboy Lee". The Monk himself wrote a serialised account of "The Chronicles of The Shire" which spoke of the Boggarts of The Shire and the strange properties of the "Ring Stinger", a unique curry recipe which was used to flavour both boilies and chicken.

The Manchester Carp Group had this constant struggle against the "Dark Lord" and his Carp Association which arose at the other side the misty mountains which separated The Shire from The Noisy Fields. The Dark Lord had lost the secret recipe for making "Ring Stinger" but The Monk and Gut Bucket made the long Trek across the Misty Mountain to take the recipe and burn it in a secret furnaces of Grimesthorpe.

If you want the whole story I will try and get it from The Monk.

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

Snide Rumours was in David Hall's Coarse Fishing and moved to David Hall's Match Fishing in May 1996. No, my memory isn't that good, just good enough to have remembered enough for a google search:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=uk

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Ron Clay wrote:I'm sure that was "Black Lizard" - the name Tim Paisley wrote under in Carp World.

And also my friend "The Monk" used to tell of the exploits of his Manchester Carp Group at that time.

"Gut Bucket", "Jayce the Ace", "The Boggart Bivvy Butler", "Ming" and "Gayboy Lee". The Monk himself wrote a serialised account of "The Chronicles of The Shire" which spoke of the Boggarts of The Shire and the strange properties of the "Ring Stinger", a unique curry recipe which was used to flavour both boilies and chicken.

The Manchester Carp Group had this constant struggle against the "Dark Lord" and his Carp Association which arose at the other side the misty mountains which separated The Shire from The Noisy Fields. The Dark Lord had lost the secret recipe for making "Ring Stinger" but The Monk and Gut Bucket made the long Trek across the Misty Mountain to take the recipe and burn it in a secret furnaces of Grimesthorpe.

Was it called 'Lord of the Ring Stinger' by any chance?

GloucesterOldSpot

Ron Clay wrote:I'm sure that was "Black Lizard" - the name Tim Paisley wrote under in Carp World.

Don't know about Black Lizard, but I recall Paisley often mentioned an angler known as the Lounge Lizard.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

GOS

The Lounge Lizard was Tim's nickname for Jim Fielding of Sheffield.

Mike

GloucesterOldSpot

Thanks Mike.

Return to “Chris Yates”