What reel?

The Other Reels forum.
Gurn
Chub

Re: What reel?

Post by Gurn »

I love my Mitchells and agree 100% with what has been written. However, just this week I have purchased a Felton Crosswind No.2. Clearly not to make life easier for myself, but its quirky motion and oddness somehow appeals in a way that my effortlessly efficient Mitchells don't...This may of course change after use. :chuckle:

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

If you want a Mitchell for float fishing, take a look at the 208. It has much simpler gearing than the big 300's, and so the flyer goes round the "right" way - the line peels off onto the ball of your finger, making it easier to feather the cast, and to transfer the line from finger to pick-up after striking, without giving the fish any slack.
It has better quality gears than the 206, and there are lots on ebay.
Don't confuse it with the "Prince" series(308, 408 etc.), its nearer the 300 in size.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Gurn wrote:I love my Mitchells and agree 100% with what has been written. However, just this week I have purchased a Felton Crosswind No.2. Clearly not to make life easier for myself, but its quirky motion and oddness somehow appeals in a way that my effortlessly efficient Mitchells don't...This may of course change after use. :chuckle:

I really, really want to take one of those apart and see what makes it tick!

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

You're a braver man than me Nobby. :hat: ..Fortunately mine is a good running 'user' so I hopefully won't have to. :beg:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well I didn't say I was confident of getting it back together again, Gurn.

This is how engineers build up a cache of spare parts....you dismatle something, re-assemble it again and 'Hey presto!'

loadsa spares!

Return to “Other Reels”