Ledgerstrike Christened

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Hexapin
Bleak

Ledgerstrike Christened

Post by Hexapin »

I was debating whether to fish my newly refurbished ledgerstike or keep it wrapped up and nurtured. So while I was deciding what to do I decided to go fishing with it, haha. I took it toa local pond, slipped on a quill, plumbed the depth, threw out some crumb and placed a nice fat worm on size 12 drennan. Fishing 4 inches over depth with a small shot on the bottom. After a couple of nice rudd and roach I hooked something larger which had me right under a tree before I was even standing up. Then a hook pull and gone. I suspect a decent carp of upper singles at least. Disappointing but also I was able to feel the magic of the ledgerstrike action. Sublime.

A few more nice roach/rudd later again, bang, float gone, line shooting, reel turning. Not quite as large and a different feel. Possibly a perch? But feels too big. Then, up to the surface comes the largest perch I have ever seen in my life. I estimate between 4 and 5 lbs. Then ping, another hook pull.

I switched to bread flake and bang an instant bite and a 4ish lb common. Then I decided to switch to a bit of touch ledgering with a couple of large shot 8 inches from the hook. So much fun, lots really fast bites on that lovely sensitive tip designed by Peter Stone. lots of missed bites and then bang, a nice little mirror.

I love this rod. Its beautiful, it casts really nicely, it lacks a bit of pick up on the float but once your hooked its just lovely. On the ledger its super sensitive, you can feel the fishes mouth moving on the bait (not really).

All I need now is a trotter to compliment it. hmmm which rod for trotting, that's a big question.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hexapin on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GazTheAngler

Re: Ledgerstrike Christened

Post by GazTheAngler »

Sounds like a good christening Hexapin.

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

Thanks. Really gutted I didn't land that monster perch. I've never actually caught a large one so seeing that thing show itself was a shock!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A splendid start, Sir ... and now you know that Sergeant is out there !!!!! :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Great result but oooh, what could have been :doh:

Next time, next time.....

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Hexapin, looks like you both had a great day and they are lovely rods.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”