Finishing a net handle

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Hovis
Tench

Finishing a net handle

Post by Hovis »

Hi I am in the process of building a whole cane landing net handle and wanted to add a cork “grip” as I can’t think of another way to finish the end opposite the net. I was wondering if anybody has any old collars or butt caps and buttons for sale? to help me out.

Does anybody know of another way to finish the end opposite the net so it looks neat and is durable?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Nailbourne

Re: Finishing a net handle

Post by Nailbourne »

I'm using cork on a split-cane handle (spare joint) but am doing without any metal fittings. For whole cane handles, I'm tempted to try a green/brown non-slip shrink-fit tube. Been playing around with this stuff for wire rod rest tops, and am impressed - looks very neat.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Any chance of a pic Nailbourne
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

On the two whole cane handles I have made. I just used a rubber button. Cheap from H&H (other suppliers are available)
http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/produc ... tegory/217

Because the whole cane has a hollow centre, I cut it about 1" below a node, then used epoxy resin to glue the thread of the button it. I then whipped up to the button. Both have been in use for 18 months or so, without any problems
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

Sure, Hovis, as soon as I get the corks! Ditto when I've used shrink-tube on something useful! Just been playing with it at the moment.

I just wonder whether it's worth spending money on cork grips on whole-cane. I select my canes from a local garden centre & B&Q and they cost pennies though, after straightening, flaming, and varnishing, they look superb! A 10" cork handle will cost £5 plus in shives. Not knocking your idea, though.

MG's idea is a good one, too.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Another way to add a cork handle is to source an old fibreglass/carbon rod that is broken or nobody wants and simply cut the cork handle off and glue the cane into the hollow centre. I made a nice little fly fishing net handle this way with an old fly rod handle (tip section lost in K&A as my son cast it off whilst practicing his fly casting).
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Am I right in thinking that the poles that people are buying are the long bamboo poles used for decorative features? I've just acquired a brass end boss for a winter project and have yet to find a pole. I'd prefer whole cane than split and would love to get sorted. Can anyone post a picture of a pole in the raw, so to speak.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I got mine from a local garden centre. Came in a bundle of about 10 canes. I had to sort through them to find cane of the right diameter but managed to find a bundle with two wide pieces. Cost about £10. I even had enough to make a bent cane net frame
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Martin

Post by Martin »

My local garden sells it in lengths, an 8' is 40p unfortunately they've none in at the moment the right diameter I keep looking and collecting bits that are suitable, got some cut down for banksticks

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

The few vintage whole cane net handles I've seen were just cane with no fancy handle to hold.

On the subject of making your own handle, can anyone explain the best way to straighten a length of whole cane as the piece I got earlier this year, and left to dry naturally, has dried like a multi-jointed dog's leg :Brickwall:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”