Casting at the sun: an observation

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Marc
Sea Trout

Casting at the sun: an observation

Post by Marc »

I'm almost finished a re-read of Casting at the Sun (even for a none carp fisher it's a truly wonderful read) and I'm struck with many feelings about it and its author. This is probably part of the books, indeed any books, appeal. The main feeling I get, unbelievably, is concern for the author. The total obsession and I suppose what today is known as OCD that comes across genuinely gives me a feeling of unease and "how?". How can a man spend so much time, personal effort, sacrifice and singlemindedness on one thing and place. This is by no means a dig at Chris, its more of a self realisation that I don't possess that level of devotion for anything. To spend weeks and months (I'm sure the book condenses a lot into a seemingly short space of time) hunting carp and being at Redmire pool to the point of knowing each blade of grass and lilly leaf just baffles me. I guess for some its cycling or playing guitar etc, and for Chris is was carp.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Casting at the sun: an observation

Post by Dave Burr »

Good observation PoD. Some of our favourite authors have a way of selling a life style through 'creative' writing whilst others genuinely do spend most of their life by the waterside. These people are living an unnatural lifestyle that few of us could dedicate ourselves to and even less of us could afford to survive on. One must always consider the background that they come from and despite some of the claims of poverty, I always feel that they may have had a little in reserve at any given time.

I used to ask Trefor West how on earth he managed to guide on the river for 7 to 10 days at a stretch, fish when the punter had gone home and then, after a couple of days at home, comeback and do it all again and again. But to him it was just 'what he did'. He gave his wife two weeks a year when they holidayed but spent the rest of the time fishing.

For me, its just too much and I'd burn out in no time. Its almost like a mild autism and its usually a negative character trait as opposed to one that we should envy.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I think for some folk an obsession like fishing can become destructive.... if you do something you love for a living it's great, but it can certainly become like any other job of work and you can quickly come to resent doing it for a living....
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have just spent 6 days fishing with a 2 day break (the weekend), although I fished 5 different places (two in one day) I thoroughly enjoyed the time on the bank and only two days I blanked. I can't wait to go again and hopefully it will be somewhere new or different compared to the last several months. This year so far I have fished a lot, but could I do it for a living?? Doubt it very much. I Have been very lucky with the amount of time I've been fishing so far and can honestly say I have never fished as much as I have done this year, and still want to go as much as I can. I have a very understanding better half, she rather me be doing this than say racing motorbikes, or going out boozing and clubbing, so whenever I get the chance to go a angling be it overnight, a whole day or just for a couple or few hours then I shall take that oppertunity and fish my nads off, you never know whats around the corner!!
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

As stated, it is probably condensed to a degree.
In terms of Redmire the rota at the time was something like every third week or thereabouts, so two weeks in between to do other things. Plus he fished there in two stints with a gap of a few years in between (I'm working from my dodgy memory here, so any corrections welcome).

It's still something of an obsession though. For me, there isn't a day goes by that I don't think about fishing in some shape or form and that builds as a days angling approaches, but after that day I'm satisfied and don't have an urge to go again immediately. If circumstances allowed me to go whenever I wanted I think once a week would probably be more than enough.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Same here.... once a week is enough... maybe twice at a push (fishing that is :Cool: ) as an Angling Coach there was a sort of feeling that I had to fish, rather than wanting to.... and that is the sort of feeling that can put you off your sport... as I said in my Journal... you can have too much of a good thing....!!!!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I would be happy for once a week, but I am able to do more so I do. Once a week would have to be a full day any more that week I'd be happy for a few hours in the afternoon :Sun: Get it whle you can for when the winter comes with heavy rain and nasty gales i'm just as happy to potter at home with fishing related projects. I still have my Burly to finish, lots of porcupines to do, tackle clear out, room tidy etc.etc
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I fish all year thru' except when there's a lid on the water..... rain, gales, PMT, I'm out in the lot :Hahaha:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Blackadder wrote:As stated, it is probably condensed to a degree.
In terms of Redmire the rota at the time was something like every third week or thereabouts, so two weeks in between to do other things. Plus he fished there in two stints with a gap of a few years in between (I'm working from my dodgy memory here, so any corrections welcome).

It's still something of an obsession though. For me, there isn't a day goes by that I don't think about fishing in some shape or form and that builds as a days angling approaches, but after that day I'm satisfied and don't have an urge to go again immediately. If circumstances allowed me to go whenever I wanted I think once a week would probably be more than enough.
You're totally correct, one week on two off. Although he does write that he spent the two weeks obsessing about going back and forgetting all his old carp haunts. Still a fascinating read.

I think I could do a week, anymore than that and I think I would become a bit cabin feverish. Even then I'd have to change venue or quarry. I don't want to read to much into a book, I just found one section to be a bit intense, which I'm sure was Mr Yates trying to get across how intense his fishing had become. As I say, fascinating.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

that sort of rate is far to intense for most people I think it takes a special sort of man or woman to keep up that sort of commitment for so long.... in the end it takes it's toll....

Return to “Chris Yates”