Trent rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Trent rod

Post by Reedling »

I went to the bootfair today and picked up this nice little rod. It is a few inches over 11 foot long and has written in ink on the butt section.. 'Trent special' and 'For Bert Coley' there is no makers mark or transfer so was probably hand built by a tackle shop or individual. I thought it rather unusual as this type of whole/split spliced cane type of rod is normaly made in three sections such as is the case with Sealey and Martin James rods, amongst others. The tip and butt rings are of the clear agate type but the high bells are all rusted, which is a shame as the whips are all in pretty good shape. I look forward to restoring this one and see how it performs as a two section rod. Reedling. :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Trent rod

Post by AshbyCut »

A very nice find, Sir ... well done.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

:Hat: i just love whole and sliced split cane rods and yes a 2 piece is not the norm but it looks a fine rod and hope it handles as good as it looks :Thumb:
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

fosters of ashbourne made a three piece 11ft rod called the trent so could a trent special be a 2 piece version of the same rod
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thankyou AC, when I got to the stall someone else was holding the rod and I thought..just my luck...I could not believe my eyes when he put it down, so I was in there like a hawk!! PHEW :Happy: It would have been nice to have a makers name on there somewhere Gord but never mind. It could well be Fosters if they built a 3 section rod with the Trent name, I suppose we will never know unless another comes along with a label as the fittings and cork etc are all pretty standard features..no quirky attributable attributes. I am really looking forward to giving this rod a bash and see how it compares to my other 3 section rods of the same materials. All the best, Reedling. :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

There's a Foster Bros. "Trent" available on this retailer's site ... and the whippings look remarkably similar, Sir. I've been looking at it for a while, and if I had the funds I'd have bought it by now.

http://www.antiquevintagefishingtackle.co.uk/id36.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Reedling,

If you dont mind me asking how much ws this boot fair find?

We have a very large one near us which I keep mening to visit and I saw a chap walking along with a very traditional looking rod bag(with rod in) last Sunday.

Gaz

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks AC :Hat: , the whips on that rod do look very similair to mine and maybe mine being a two section rod made it the 'Trent Special'. I hope it feels special when I use it :) .
GTA, I paid £4 for it..I was very lucky to get it at that price they do not come along like that very often nowadays although there are quite a few glass rods for around the same money (famous last words :Hide: ). I go to fairs each weekend if I possibly can and have built up a nice selection of items for very little money indeed. All the best, Reedling. :Hat:

PS.. Sometimes when I get talking to sellers about the rods I have bought and tell them they are purchased to refurb and use, they love it and always seem pleased it is going to a good home. Some just look at me as if my lights are on, but no one's at home!! :Hahaha:

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

£4, thats a bargain mate.

The booty near me is huge so I wil get myself down there, you never know what I might find.

Good luck with the rod. I am well pleased with my last glass putchase a 10ft Sealey Black arrow.

Gaz

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Good luck at the Bootfair GTA I hope you find something really nice at a bargain price and keep your eyes open for those boxes tucked away under the stalls full of Harcorck floats and centrepin reels that no one else has seen :Beg: :Wink: Funny you mention Black arrow as I purchased one a little while back..it is two section yellow glass with a burgundy colour under the whips and by the butt. States..Glading Sealey float rod with another label saying Black arrow 2 with an arrow through it. To me it looks more like other glass Carp 10 ft rods I have although it is lighter and more flexible with high bells rings. All the best, Reedling. :Hat:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”