Ties

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Ties

Post by BendSomeCane »

Chaps, Are you a wearer of ties when fishing. Most fieldsports enthusiasts would wear a tie whilst shooting, Hawking or hunting.

There is something respectful about fishing for your quarry dressed appropriatley.

tell me what you think

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Ties

Post by Snape »

Having to wear a tie to work 6 days a week I avoid wearing at other times. So I'm a no - although there are some fine fishy ones around although mostly with fly fishing motifs.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I have to wear a tie 5 days a week for work so come the weekend I like to be tieless, I always wear a shirt for fishing though and a Norfolk jacket.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

I to have to wear one for work so don't really want to be wearing one when fishing as well but I do understand what you mean. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

J.T wrote:I to have to wear one for work so don't really want to be wearing one when fishing as well but I do understand what you mean. :)
No, I must agree with Snape: the tie is the yoke of servitude; a sign than life is hanging one!

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Generally the wearing of a necktie for coarse fishing is totally stupid except for the very elderly who hark back to the good old days of Victorian virtues or for Hoorah Henrys who fancy a punt at Blenheim or Sonning on Thames with straw boaters and stripey blazers. In fly fishing ciircles a tie or possibly cravat is likely to be de rigeur in the Officers' Club and the Houghton Club.

That said, novelty fishy ties are collectible, just like floats:

On the left is a bog standard tie that you'd find in a booth on the Waterloo station concourse.

In the centre is a tie that could only be purchased from the famous Bull at Downton. It has one downfall and that is when tied with a large Windsor knot, the bull motiff inevitably is sideways on the knot. I once met Bill Gough (well known and respected Avon roachman of yesteryear) in the bar and he had a commissioned a "Bull" tie with the uppermost bull motiff embroidered sideways so that when tied the bull was right way up on the knot. Such attention to detail and sartorial exactitude is why Bill was such a fine angler.

On the right is a present from my neighbour who saw it at a carboot sale. I quite like it and would have no hesitation in wearing it at a funeral of a deceased piker (or pikey come to that).

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

No tie for me. Mostly on practicality grounds. As I no longer have to wear a tie for work, that aspect doesn't bother me. However, the thought of dangling it in the contents of my flask, bait tin or groundbait doesn't appeal. It is also something else for my hook to catch in. I already have enough trouble avoiding hook holds in my coat and trousers :roll:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Ray Mumford, the well-known Thames match angler from the 1960s/70s, always wore a tie whilst fishing. That was a bit unusual even back then, though.

There's some footage of him on here, although I haven't yet watched it because the site keeps insisting that I've got an old version of Adobe Flash Player installed:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2456

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Excellent website find there davyr. Some great old newsreels. :thumb:

Here's another more detailed one of Ray Mumford http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2423
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

How long should these Pathe films take to load? On my PC it seems to be taking forever.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”