Barbel in the Winter wierpool . Fred Crouch .

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Old Man River
Eel

Barbel in the Winter wierpool . Fred Crouch .

Post by Old Man River »

This was highlighted on another forum I step into occasionally . I thought you may like it . I certainly do.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

SussexMan
Bleak

Re: Barbel in the Winter wierpool . Fred Crouch .

Post by SussexMan »

Really enjoyed that Old Man River; many thanks. It has to be asked why modern Youtubes struggle to offer anything as good (excluding rare exceptions).

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Looking forward to watching this.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Marvellous stuff David, interesting to see Fred using his green whipped barbel perfection, which is now owned by my lifelong friend Kev
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:28 pm Marvellous stuff David, interesting to see Fred using his green whipped barbel perfection, which is now owned by my lifelong friend Kev
Hi Rob, I would think it a rare thing indeed to have a Rod with provenance and a Film to show it in use with its previous owner .
The film to me shows the beginning of the end of the era, when Cane was common. Makes me also wonder when unhooking mats first started to be used , can anybody enlighten me ?

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Old Man River wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:17 pm
RBTraditional wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:28 pm Marvellous stuff David, interesting to see Fred using his green whipped barbel perfection, which is now owned by my lifelong friend Kev
Hi Rob, I would think it a rare thing indeed to have a Rod with provenance and a Film to show it in use with its previous owner .
The film to me shows the beginning of the end of the era, when Cane was common. Makes me also wonder when unhooking mats first started to be used , can anybody enlighten me ?

David
Fred used a cane rod right up until his demise, he was a bit of a stick in the mud and fished in close with his cane and pin. His methods were highly successful until replicated by the new-wave barbel fishers, his catches declined and he struggled to embrace modern methods but did continue to catch when he made some alterations.

Unhooking mats became an often reluctant norm around the mid to late nineties. Suddenly, barbel became precious and the 'barbel police' sprang into life, often a bit blinkered but always vocal. Rules are made for the guidance of the intelligent and the direction of fools.

I hope this helps

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I can never remember Fred’s catches diminishing as such whilst he was still able to angle, I think it was more a case of the fish stocks diminishing on the Kennet where he spent his last few years on the bank. Fred was a superb angler, a great thinker, good fun and one very much to promote fishing under the rod tip… if you are quiet in your approach that’s where most of the fish are….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

It's a shame the film is such poor quality, especially the sound.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Fat Bloke met Fred a number of times and always found him reasonably friendly, even getting an invite round to his drum in Enfield. Yeah he flogged me one of his copies of the Match Aerial....Fatty was a softer touch then. Having said that the reel is still a user and used.

In one of the early Barbel Society meetings Fred attempted to broker reason amongst the shouty, provocative oafs who even then were picking on some of the other older well known members of the proposed Committee, in a totally unpleasant way. They even told Fred to shut up, despite the fact he was chairing the meeting. Fatty made the decision not to go to another meeting, there and then, as the atmosphere seemed toxic. Maybe this was a bad session and things settled.

The Mole, for it is he, stepped away from the Barbel Society, especially as those most vocal were not reasonable men, having crossed paths in the past. Suffice to say Fat Bloke was a lot younger and more than prepared to stand up to the thugs back then, however by not getting involved seemed an easier option. No pies were harmed by this decision so deemed the correct one at the time. There are only so many windmills to tilt at in one lifetime with flyfishing taking more time then anyway by becoming Secretary for the Salmon and Trout Association in Surrey. In itself a story that needs telling another time perhaps.

Blimey Fatty has rambled off topic yet again. It truly never ceases to amaze how this happens :Hat:

Back on track Fred, a decent bloke was a man from an earlier age, out of his comfort zone with complicated tackle...like floats...... :Chuckle:

Sticking to what he knew he was a prolific catcher of Barbel.

Thanks for putting this video up for perusal, it bought back memories long forgotten.

As ever,.....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Met Fred at Kings Weir a couple of times in the 80's, a lovely bloke and helpful to a young(ish) lad and put me onto some nice fish (mostly chub) a lovely video... many thanks for posting... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Return to “Fishing Films”