Mepps reels.......For Duckett.

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Brown
Rudd

Mepps reels.......For Duckett.

Post by Russell Brown »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My modest hoard of Mepps reels.I'm obsessed with them.Their internal workings are wonderfully over-engineered and are all built like brick outhouses.The Ocean model is a huge lump of a thing weighing in at 1•5 lb's.The Super Meca reel is a very eye-catching design with its folding foot.Mine has a bit of paint scuffing and a repaired bail wire that the seller didn't tell me about.A bit annoying !!! However,It's bail mechanism is a joy to behold........If anyone would like to see all my Centaure reels,let me know.......TTFN😎

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Mepps reels.......For Duckett.

Post by RBTraditional »

Thanks for sharing those with us Russell that is a wonderful collection, they’re certainly growing on me and I’m in all honesty usually a pin man…… :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

RBTraditional wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:50 pm Thanks for sharing those with us Russell that is a wonderful collection, they’re certainly growing on me and I’m in all honesty usually a pin man…… :Hat:
The main drawback with Mepps reels are the prices.I often have to do after-dark raids on the neighbours wheelie bins for food scraps...

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Thanks so much for taking the time to post these Russell. I’m certain a Meca was the first Mepps reel I ever saw - there is nothing else quite like it! A wonderful collection, worth a spot of bin diving!

Phil
Last edited by Duckett on Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I can understand the allure, they definitely have something about them, I especially like that anti-reverse lever that looks like it came from a submarine engine room - love it. What are they like to fish with, are the clutches any good?

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Dave Burr wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:44 am I can understand the allure, they definitely have something about them, I especially like that anti-reverse lever that looks like it came from a submarine engine room - love it. What are they like to fish with, are the clutches any good?
Ashamed to say I haven't angled with any of them.The clutches seem very,very smooth though.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Do the stems on the last 2 fold Russell?

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Liphook wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:52 pm Do the stems on the last 2 fold Russell?
Yes,the OCEAN and the SUPER MECA.There was also a version of the SUPER VAMP with the folding foot.😎👍

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Interesting! Thank you :Hat:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Russell Brown wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:25 am
Dave Burr wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:44 am I can understand the allure, they definitely have something about them, I especially like that anti-reverse lever that looks like it came from a submarine engine room - love it. What are they like to fish with, are the clutches any good?
Ashamed to say I haven't angled with any of them.The clutches seem very,very smooth though.
That seems a shame, they look like they are gagging for some bank time.

Return to “Other Reels”