A late Christmas gift

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

A late Christmas gift

Post by Iasgair »

It's New Years Eve and my family and I went to Denver to watch our hockey team, the Colorado Avalanche play the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs won 6 to 2. We need a new goalie because he let 5 goals in by the middle of the 2cd period and then they pulled him out and put in our 3rd string goalie who didn't allow a goal in the entire rest of the game.

But that's not what I want to talk about. When we got home I noticed a small package on the porch addressed to my son. I brought it into the house and gave it to him and he said it was actually for me from him and my wife. So I opened it and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a book called, The History of Fly - Fishing in Fifty Flies.

What I really like about this book is first the history of these wonderful flies, but also it has the original tying recipe for them and it tells you who first tied these flies and when they were tied and where.

I was told I have another book coming and I can only hope it's Ray Bergman's book, Trout. But who knows what it could be. It could be Calvin and Hobbes, which is alright with me too. But I thought I'd share this with you because I think it's a pretty nice gift because I like the history of classic flies as much as I like fishing them.

Anyway, Happy New Year to all of you and I hope 2023 is a lot better than the last two years.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Re: A late Christmas gift

Post by JAA »

Iasgair wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:23 am I was told I have another book coming and I can only hope it's Ray Bergman's book, Trout. But who knows what it could be. It could be Calvin and Hobbes, which is alright with me too. But I thought I'd share this with you because I think it's a pretty nice gift because I like the history of classic flies as much as I like fishing them.

Anyway, Happy New Year to all of you and I hope 2023 is a lot better than the last two years.
"Calvin and Hobbes"? You are a scholar and gentleman. :Hat:

I do have a soft spot for "Bloom County" though. :Wink:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Happy New Year to you :cheers: Looks an interesting read :Thumb:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

That’s a great gift you got there iasgair. Everything you will want to know about the history of the flies you are tying. 50 flies eh!,and not a book full of the thousands of variations. Now that’s my kind of book👍
Do I feel a couple of your brilliant tutorials coming on? I hope so as I’m keen to learn as I’m sure others are👍
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Ian wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:44 pm That’s a great gift you got there iasgair. Everything you will want to know about the history of the flies you are tying. 50 flies eh!,and not a book full of the thousands of variations. Now that’s my kind of book👍
Do I feel a couple of your brilliant tutorials coming on? I hope so as I’m keen to learn as I’m sure others are👍
Oh yes. There will be a few coming as soon as I am finished getting ready for the tying expo in a few weeks.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:15 pm
Ian wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:44 pm That’s a great gift you got there iasgair. Everything you will want to know about the history of the flies you are tying. 50 flies eh!,and not a book full of the thousands of variations. Now that’s my kind of book👍
Oh yes. There will be a few coming as soon as I am finished getting ready for the tying expo in a few weeks.
That will be great buddy👍
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Return to “General Fly Chat”