Allcocks light caster reel seat question

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Troutlips
Stickleback

Allcocks light caster reel seat question

Post by Troutlips »

Guys
I have a really nice Allcocks Light Caster rod I have picked up but the reel locking ring is either incorrect for the thread or the threads are so worn that the locking ring rides or crosses the thread. The thread on the reel seat looks ok to me and not significantly worn or flat but I dont have anything original handy to compare it to. I have been using some ptfe tape to get round the issue for a while but clearly dont want a reel coming loose and getting damaged..
1 Do you think its the wrong locking ring, or just worn threads?
2 Is it worth replacing the reel seat, or can you get reduced size locking rings to accommodate thread wear?
3 If I was to replace the reel seat is this within the realms of a relatively competent DIYer or am I going to b*gger up a generally usable rod?
Cheers
Steve
Ignorance of ones culture should not be considered cool..

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Allcocks light caster reel seat question

Post by Catfish.017 »

Just a thought, is it possible the locking ring has cracked allowing it to expand slightly and jump the threads as a consequence?

Troutlips
Stickleback

Post by Troutlips »

Hi Catfish, thanks for reply, no I cant see any cracks in the ring (painful ;-) ) just seems to be the wrong size, I wonder if it has been refurbed at some point and the wrong locking ring fitted or if it is just thread wear..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Assuming it’s the W A Allcock version, I have the same rod with what sounds like the same problem. Thing is, if I screw it up very tight, it doesn’t come loose and it has always relocated!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

my guess is the plastic has shrunk over the years . i can't think of an easy fix for it other than cut the plastic with a Dremmel, open it up and fill the gap with epoxy . ,,,,,or fit a new reel clamp together with the new cork you will need ---- or fit reel bands ---again , more faff.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

I'm wondering if something has been replaced as the cork handle in your pictures looks to have been finished with a file rather than son a lathe
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Troutlips
Stickleback

Post by Troutlips »

I am pretty convinced now that it has had some work done on it in the past and this is probably the reason but I think I will leave it as it is and just make do with the ptfe tape, it doesnt look great and needs replacing often but hey if I wanted convenience I'd go modern..... :-)

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”