B James Avon Perfection whole cane butt

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Pond.Olive
Stickleback

B James Avon Perfection whole cane butt

Post by Pond.Olive »

Can anyone tell me dates for production of this rod?

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Re: B James Avon Perfection whole cane butt

Post by Northern_Nomad »

EDIT

Apologies I misread the title of the thread and wrote a detailed reply on the whole butt AVOCET which is not what you asked for so I’ve deleted it.

:Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Pond.Olive
Stickleback

Post by Pond.Olive »

My rod bears the London England address so probably 1955-58, early in the period I would imagine. How many whole cane butt rods produced? How many split cane butts produced? It’s not a rod often seen, in either mode.
Thanks for your reply Northern Nomad. I would have found your information on Avocets just as interesting. I have yet to find one.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Whole butt Avocets range from 1950 to 1957, although some say 1949. The cane was bought in from makers such as Southwell and are considered to be the best of these rods. There were 5 whole cane butt variants from the first in 1949/50 through different iterations through to 1957. These changes were minor and mainly to differing ferrules, rings, handle furniture and whipping colour. This was probably due to availability of stock in post war years. The only noticeable change was the last version in 1957 in which the whole cane butt section was much more stout and used non serrated ferrules.

Post 1957 the fully split cane versions arrived and the whole cane butts were dropped. It is telling that 1957 is the year that B James got their own bevelling machine and therefore made their own blanks. Some say that the fully split cane Avocets are Avocets in name only as they bear little resemblance in feel and action to the earlier whole cane butt rods. I count myself extremely fortunate to have a first version Avocet which is also a Daily Mirror Prize Rod, bought from a junk shop for £12 :shocked:

I would say in answer that although I don’t know the start date of the whole butt Avon Perfection, I’d say it’s change over to full split cane would be around 1957 or the following year as stocks were used up and the new era came in. :Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Pond.Olive
Stickleback

Post by Pond.Olive »

Thank you for that NN. It’s an interesting period for rod collectors and definitive info can be hard to find.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I have both B.James Avon Perfections - the whole cane butt version marked London England I acquired from Bumble of this Forum and the all built cane version came from Michael Stratton well over 20 years ago and was restored by John Brough. The built cane version is marked England and is somewhat more powerful I would suggest than the whole cane butt version. I had a Carp in excess of 20lbs on the all built cane version from Stockton reservoir some years ago kindly netted by Bob Brookes - we were fishing for Crucians at the time!! I am not sure I would fancy a 20lb + Carp on the whole cane butt version to be honest. I have just been comparing the mid and top sections of the two variants. I was expecting them to be the same but they are NOT. the whole cane butt Avon Perfection has a lighter mid and top section compared to that of the all built cane version. They are therefore 2 different rods in my opinion but I like and use both.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have an Avon Perfection - split cane - that I will now give some exercise in the light of the above!

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Olly wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:03 pm I have an Avon Perfection - split cane - that I will now give some exercise in the light of the above!
ImageImageImageImage

The proof of the capabilities of a B.James -Avon Perfection - all built cane version as recorded by Bob Brookes at Stockton.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I must give mine a try - - but only in open water!

No under the tip or snag fishing! :surrender:

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”