My 52-year old 505

The ABU Reels forum.
Polecat501
Dace

My 52-year old 505

Post by Polecat501 »

For the first time in my life I’ve managed to get my hands on an ABU 505 (I fished in the 80’s & 90’s with the obligatory Matchman’s Specials, a set of three ABU 501’s with the anti-reverse pawl removed). A UK friend parted with a 505 for not too much folding money and the little fellow safely made it across the Pond to me.

The reel needed removal of old, caked grease and a full service before the drag system would work as designed, but imagine my delight in stripping down an old favorite 500 series, to find that, not only was it manufactured in 1970, but the original felt washer under the handle cover was still intact! I was so pleased with getting the star drag system working, I decided to leave the anti-reverse pawl in the reel and use it like the Svangsta Engineers intended.

I’m now loving life with my 505, I’ve caught loads of Wild & Weird Wisconsin fishies and the reel is behaving impeccably, in fair weather or foul. As this is my first 505 I have no reference point other than my old 501’s, but this reel is at least 10 years older than them, runs even smoother and leaves me with a grin every time I catch a decent fish on it. I don’t think it would be my choice for big, angry Carp in snaggy water, but for Floatfishing for the smaller species in lighter flows and windy weather, it’s become my favorite. As for the fishies, the expression on the face of this Smallmouth Bass says it all. Not happy. Not impressed.
44F4D641-7C68-482A-8B7B-561D3C513ACC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: My 52-year old 505

Post by Dave Burr »

That reel looks mint, and any item of tackle that puts a smile on your face, regardless of condition, is to be treasured.

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I always thought that the 505 was the best looking of the 500 series closed face reels, nice looking fish too

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Made half a century ago, and I still think of it as a modern style reel!
:Chuckle:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The 505 is a truly iconic reel.

First saw Benny Ashurst using one on the Trent in the 1960's and picking up coin. It gave him an edge with the stick and boy did he take advantage too.

ImageImageImage

Fatty bought one with his first wage packet. The one you can see here....it was so expensive that it got looked after.

Still in use today minus anti reverse pawl of course.

Love this reel and prefer it to the 506 as it looks more eccentric.

As ever,...

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Polecat501
Dace

Post by Polecat501 »

Moley wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:07 pm The 505 is a truly iconic reel.

First saw Benny Ashurst using one on the Trent in the 1960's and picking up coin. It gave him an edge with the stick and boy did he take advantage too.

ImageImageImage

Fatty bought one with his first wage packet. The one you can see here....it was so expensive that it got looked after.

Still in use today minus anti reverse pawl of course.

Love this reel and prefer it to the 506 as it looks more eccentric.

As ever,...

Moley
That’s another very clean and tidy 505! I think mine is the second version, as it has the crinkly black paint on the body (like the 1st version) but also the stainless steel “lip” on the cowling, like all the later 500 series reels. Date of manufacture is 1970, which I think matches.

I retained the anti reverse pawl, as I wanted to experience the star drag and “quarter back turn synchro” drag reduction feature. So far, it’s worked fine on the middle sized, hard fighting species I’ve caught (Freshwater Drum to around 6 lbs and Smallmouth Bass to around 3 lbs); the acid test is of course an angry Carp. I’m going fishing tomorrow in a canal system that holds several to well over double figures… that anti reverse pawl may be going into my reel spare parts box. I’ve had several Carp on my User 507 (pawl removed) and I felt in control backwinding with that reel. The 505 will be a fun experiment. :Wink:

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Although I have had dozens of these reels I have actually never used one, my go to reel has always been the 507 or 508.

Back in 2012 my collection of reels helped to do the ABU GOLDEN JUBILEE book and after considerable expense and time finding them
I ended up with some beauties in mint condition from both UK and USA and there were a few different models.

Working with another person who did all the research on when they were made he documented the reel as produced in 1962 with
paperwork being available from 1961 now interestingly last week I read Len Borgstroms book, ABU & Garcia, What Happened and in the back of the book Len has written 1960 ABU 505, a completely new spinning reel without a bail is introduced, this is listed under the heading significant years, make of that what you will. :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

IMG_20220808_110851295~2.jpg
[/url]
My father's Shakespeare equivalent, the 2660, hardly used , in its original zip case and with a spare spool. I think I've used it once, and he died over 25 years ago...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Jokki
Ruffe

Post by Jokki »

The whole crew.

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

MWithell wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:47 am IMG_20220808_110851295~2.jpg
My father's Shakespeare equivalent, the 2660, hardly used , in its original zip case and with a spare spool. I think I've used it once, and he died over 25 years ago...
Despite already having a 506 I bought a pair of these as I was smitten at the time with the closed face concept. I found them to be rather poor with line trapping on the pick up pin constantly. The bags were good though and I still have one which houses an ABU 506!

Return to “ABU Reels”