Noris Spinning Rod Updated

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
2wood
Minnow

Noris Spinning Rod Updated

Post by 2wood »

About 2 weeks ago, I attended a fishing flea market. Among the more than 100 tables, there were only a half dozen with cane rods, mostly USA made in the mid 20th century and in poor condition. However, at one table, a gentleman had several decent rods/reels. I bought an almost new OrvisPresentation, made by Sth, and a gem of a spinning rod made by Noris, of which I'd never heard. What was most interesting was that the first guide was folding.
I've not found much online, as Thomas Turner notes on the fly rod he has for sale, "There is not a lot of information to be easily found online about the Noris company but it appears they became part of the Shakespeare family in 1965 and the name subsequently disappeared afterward". He also notes as I found elsewhere that the firm originated in Austria/Germany.
The rod is in beautiful condition, measuring 39-1/4" for the butt section, including the rubber button, and 37-1/2" for the top. There is no label on the butt, but in inked script, it reads Original "Noris" 1948 b. The first quote is subscripted. The bag reads, "Noris" Fischereigeräte, a leaping hooked fish with "Noris" below the fish. and Qualitätserznisse.
I hope someone can inform me about this company, folding guide
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 2wood on Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Noris Spinning Rod

Post by Duebel »

You've got a nice little rod there, Bob!

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about this particular rod.
Is there any name or number written on your rod?

Noris Fischereigeräte were founded in 1875 in Nürnberg (Nuremberg, Northern Bavaria. "Noris" is actually a poetical name for the Nürnberg).
If the information, that I found in the link below, is correct, it was in 1963, that Noris became part of the Shakespeare company. The source is quite reliable. The author is a very well respected German fishing journalist.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fischundfa ... are/%3famp
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Re: Noris Spinning Rod Updated

Post by Wanderer »

As a boy, fishing in the late sixties/ early seventies, I seem to remember that tackle branded" Norris Shakespeare " was quite common at the time.

All the best.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

2wood
Minnow

Post by 2wood »

Yes, I've found much more tackle branded Noris Shakespeare, particularly reels, than Noris.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I can't find a mention of Norris in the Allcocks guide from 1965 just the Cope Allman, Top Tackle takeover of Allcocks, Lee and Youngs. However the later catalogues 1966 -1969 are all named as Allcocks. Norris, Shakespeare.

Wal.

2wood
Minnow

Post by 2wood »

Gents,
Just for the record; it's Noris, not Norris. No offense, but I'm concerned your comments won't come up in a search of the forum. Thanks to Duebel's comment, I researched Noris/Nuremberg. The name Noris refers to the city of Nuremberg. The nickname Noris was given to the city of Nuremberg in the 17th century, based on a novel by Dr. Johann Helwig[1]. Staedtler, the company behind the Noris, is based in Nuremberg. The name Noris has been linked to Nuremberg since the 16th century, possibly earlier.

Helius Eobanus Hessus was the first to describe Nuremberg as "noris amoena (pleasant Noris). Hessus derived Noris from the Latin name of Nuremberg in official documents, where the city was referred to as "Noricum" or "Norimberg".

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

May I copy the pictures of your rod and show them to my friends on a German forum? I'm pretty sure, I can dig up more information about your rod there.

2wood
Minnow

Post by 2wood »

Dear Landsmann,
I was under the impression you can download at will. I right-clicked on an image and did a "Save As" which took me to my computer. If you need my approval, please inform me how to give it. Or, I will send them to you via email.
Auf Wiedersehen,
Bob

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Thanks, Bob! I just wanted to make sure, that you're ok with me posting the pictures elsewhere.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Jokki
Ruffe

Post by Jokki »

Congratulations on your Noris Spin rod.
The Noris No. 1948 b Exakt was built for a long time both in the 50s and in the 60s.
In the 50s there were four lengths:
1948a with a length of 1.8 m
1948 b with a length of 1.9 m
1948 c with a length of 2.05 m
1948 d with a length of 2.20m
From 1960 only two models were available, the
1948 a with a length of 1.80m
1948 b with a length of 2.00 m
I think yours is the 50's model.
The rod had an agate guide ring (not foldable) and an agate tip guide. The rod was designed for the discerning angler and was available for 50 DM, which was not exactly cheap at the time.
Last edited by Jokki on Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”