Intrepid Continental line guide?

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Intrepid Continental line guide?

Post by Cat »

Afternoon All,
During a spot of carp fishing on Saturday evening with a nice Continental / Aspindale Speydale combination, I noticed a nice groove in the reel line guide. I'm pretty careful with my reels, and am sure I would have noticed it before. Although I do have a spare bail arm (also with a groove), I'm wondering if it's time to retire it from such work (although it was designed for salmon spinning) or try to polish out? If the latter, what's the best way to go about it as it's pretty tight getting access? Also, accepting it's not a Black Prince with their monkey metal bail arms, but were they known for being soft?
Regards Cat

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Intrepid Continental line guide?

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Looked at a couple of mine, second hand via "that" site. Seem ok unworn bale arm rollers. Could yours have been used with braided line, this was not anticipated at their design back in the day.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I’ve had two of these reels, both had slight grooves in that area. There is no roller as such and yes it’s a fiddle to get right in to polish out. I’ve posted about the bale arm on these reels before and the misfortune thar befell mine where the bale wire sheared right at that point. The closing mechanism (purely mechanical no spring) is quite fierce and contributed I’m sure to the break. Thereafter I always closed the bale by hand.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks both...indeed the bale arm is fierce! I haven't ever used braided line, but someone may have done so previously. As I like it I'll have a go at polishing out (when I think of how to do it!).
Regards Cat

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Cat wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:27 pm Thanks both...indeed the bale arm is fierce! I haven't ever used braided line, but someone may have done so previously. As I like it I'll have a go at polishing out (when I think of how to do it!).
Regards Cat
I think I used fine wire wool twisted into a stringlike strand and dipped in Brasso or T cut.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Another alternative is Autosol.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you both.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Cat, You are quite right and I realised the "roller" mistake after I posted. A cute dumbell in the elbow of the bail arm is what Ken Morritts provided. I am surprised that Salmon spinning was put forward for its use? I have not got the c1960 advertisement for the reel but most of the paperwork sent to the customer with the reel. It does not suggest the use for the Continental model but clearly suggest it could used in salt waltar needing thouroher washing out afterwards.Could the name be directed towards larger fish in Europe ie catfish and carp.... back in the early sixties this was exotic .......Pike and large eels a more likely pursuit ..The well heeled gentleman of the period would shun the Intrepide range of products!!!!! Your thoughts Tony

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Interesting...I have a j b walker catalogue for 1961 with the Continental in at £3.5.7. However, it doesn't mention specific usage, although states 200yards of 10-12lb or 100 yards of 20lb. Maybe the salmon spinning is a figment of my imagination, but agree re 'exotic' carp and such (when I started fishing anything apart from roach, perch and gudgeon were considered exotic and the talk of the school playground! ) / European specis and a bit sea fishing...60 years ago!
Also in the catalogue is the Supreme, with a similar line capacity, at £4.7.6...the Interesting point being that the Supreme has a plastic main gear (later model I assume). Good reel, but I wonder if anyone experienced problems with that gear under duress?
Always remember the screw into the main gear of the Continental is left hand thread!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Advertisement from "Fishing Gazette," September 1959 :-

... and my original (and, I believe, unused) boxed example, including the spare spool and two 'collars' to adjust spool capacity. This has a cast metal clutch plate, is left hand wind only (I believe there was also a right hand wind). and the back plate has what appears to be a salmon motif (perhaps supporting the suggestion it was once advertised for salmon spinning).

... and from April 1969 :-

... and my later example when the reel was introduced with reversible wind, and cost saving modifications like the plastic clutch wind, and the less complex back plate casting.

Throughout, the reels were advertised as having "helical gearing," and "bearings made of a special grade of Nylon GUARANTEED never to wear out whether oiled or not."
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”