Fly rod conversion advice!

General fly fishing chat area.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Fly rod conversion advice!

Post by Santiago »

ImageIn the post I have another fly rod winging it's way to me. The length I believe is about 9'8" but could be longer. The rod is un -named and from the photos on the bay the cane looks in reasonable condition. The rod only cost me £20 (with free postage) and I only bought it for spare parts, as it has a lovely looking bottom agate ring. And the cane definitely needs attention!

Anyways, it occurred to me that I could convert it into either an ultra light spinning rod or a picker rod (short, light leger casting no more than 1/2 oz). Possibly, both having a separate handle like a 500. And about 7'8" long, possibly!

Gentlemen, could I please ask for your thoughts? Have any of you made similar rods?

The picker rod will mainly be for legering worm for perch.

The fly rod comes with two tips. So I could play a bit with the design! But from the photo I can't tell if they're cane or greenheart! Oh bother!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Fly rod conversion advice!

Post by Olly »

Or lancewood - or perhaps even firewood? :tea:

I looked at this rod. It struck me that neither tip was for the rod - ?
Last edited by Olly on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Unfortunately, I have to agree!

Hemingway

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Even better if it's a bitza! You can mess around with it without any guilt . I've a couple of "bashing about "rods with greenheart tips. So many people mention that greenheart can give way unexpectedly that it is probably true but l've never had it happen. And how many split cane rods have broken tips or delamination ? : yet no one dares mention inherent faults with the material.
Rescue it,rebuilt it and have fun.👍
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers Kev, that never occurred to me. That's very encouraging!

Hemingway

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I have several of these old cane and greenheart fly rods, they're great fun to use and look very traditional. One in particular I lightly restored is a 10' 6"'double handler that makes a great tench rod. The manner of its acquisition was amusing too. I was walking around a Staffordshire boot fair carrying a nice cane and greenheart 'bottom' rod I had just bought for two pounds when a chap shouted over " hey I've got some old bean sticks you can have for free" he was referring to the old fly rod and a couple of odd sections. The bundle got even bigger further on with another donation of oddments.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks catfish, do you think the greenheart will make a good tip for a light spinning rod?

Hemingway

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Santiago wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:32 am Thanks catfish, do you think the greenheart will make a good tip for a light spinning rod?
No reason why it wouldn't. It depends on the taper ultimately and this is where greenheart scores over split cane as it can be easily shaved to modify the taper. The best implement to use for this purpose is a piece of newly broken glass held almost horizontal to the wood.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers!

Hemingway

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Looking forward to seeing the results Trevor.

Your float making skills will come in to play and I am sure you will get an excellent result.
Take your time,think it through.......and most of all enjoy.

You have just reminded me I have a "Allcocks Lightcaster" it came to me in need of a strip down.The cane was in good order and I made a butt extension out a piece of seasoned hazel and that makes a nice ,as you say a picker type rod for tight swims fished touch ledgering .I think I will take it for an adventure chasing perch very soon.I normally match it up with a Delmatic reel as the curved handle just makes the reel sit nicely on the rod.

All the best
Nige.

Return to “General Fly Chat”