Quinette MK8

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

Quinette MK8

Post by Greentura »

Found a Quinette MK8 and offer accepted subject to a chat with the seller, some work may be needed to correct a set in the tip but taking the risk buying on the strength of a couple of pics and description. Watch this space for more info but for now here's the spec from Chapmans

The Quinette Mk 8. 10’ 2 piece Carp rod. 2 lbs. T.C. (5 strip Ledger Rod) 1955 - 1970
Blank specifications 5 strip
Butt section Top section
Half sizes Half sizes
0" .180 0" .060
60” .312 48” .103
60” .172

Cork Handle: 29" x 15/16" with two alloy sliding bands. 15/16" alloy butt cap with 1-1/4" red rubber button.

Ferrule: Brass suction ferrule 7/16"

Guide spacing: As sizes above.

Guide sizes:
Butt : Aqualite 25mm and full open bridge size 9.
Top: full open bridge sizes 6, 5, 4, 3, 3. Size 3 Aqualite tip.

Intermediate wrappings: Butt 2". Top 1½" --- 1¼
Wrappings: Green with copper wire wrappings on butt ring and female ferrule.

Catalogue description: A rod slightly more power than the 6-strip carp yet at the same time being extremely sensitive.

Catalogue comments by Peter Stone: “May I say how pleased I am with your “Quinette” Carp rod which has had a good testing this summer. What really impresses me is its immense power when playing large fish such as carp. Yet the diameter of its tip enables one to detect the finicky bites we often get from chub, barbel, and even dace”. Peter Stone.

If anyone has the Chapmans drawings that went with the specs it would be greatly appreciated as it's gone from their website and pictures of this rod are too follow as soon as it arrives :wink:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Re: Quinette MK8

Post by Greentura »

The deal has been struck, money changed hands and a money-back if i'm not happy clause is in place, i think i will be though :wink: must look out my bar electric fire to ease the set out of the tip, seems to be a very early version, 1955'ish but in the next few days I will find out more:thumb:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

It arrived at 0845hrs and the set in the tip is more like a bend right through the length of the tip but I think it should straighten ok. As far as I can see it's never been restored or had any work done at all and a troll through the web found conformation that it had been inherited in 2009 with another rod by the seller after being stored for around 30years unused, I remembered a search I did back then and the name was the same. Pics to follow when I get back

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Here's the pictures of the Quinette i recieved this morning. I have pictured it next to my unrestored B James Mk4 carp for comparrison and also some of it's features close up.

the original bag with two small holes near the hanging loop, nothing to worry about there
transfer complete and 'Mk8' in Indian ink
male ferule with copper whipping and rubber button/alloy thread boss
female ferule with copper whippings
unlined tip guide
unlined butt guide with copper whipping on the handle side, like my deluxe 500's and 550's
spacing on guides is very close to the mk4
trumpet end and wider spaced intermediates
thinner handle and smaller button

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I decided with the set in the tip that the help of Mike Harris was required as the rod is so unusual being five strip cane. The tip section has been stripped and turned anti clockwise through two flats, all the guides replaced and upgraded to agate lined tip and butt guides the same as on my 550 deluxe. So far all I have managed to land with it are eels, two, both over 2lb so not bad ones. It feels softer in the tip than a mk4 but more powerful through the mid and butt, better balanced too and with a spedia mounted 4" back on the cork it balances 4" in front of the cork so it could be held for long periods, perfect for stalking. I think this will be my rod of choice for surface carp for some time to come :Thumb:

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

That looks a lovely rod and i like the thinner handle.

enjoy :)
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

It looks a cracker. I'm very envious

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

That looks beautiful, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Well six months have passed now since the Quinette came back with it's tip still straight after a couple of dozen carp to high doubles, mostly off the top in the late summer, and a couple of barbel to just under 8lb. It was rebuilt to the specification in the chapmans description above, since getting it my Mk4 'onion' has hardly been touched, I nearly even sold it but luckily that didn't happen, more due to the sentimental value than it being essential anymore to my fishing armoury. It took a long time to find and has become one of my favorite rods as I was told it would, only regret is there were so few made so you could all have one :Wink:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

It sounds a perfect rod having bit more guts than the standard MkIV.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”