The Chapmans website

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Haydn Clarke

Re: The Chapmans website

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Not dreaming, Paul. They had a recent, and much needed, update on their old website.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Quite why Chapmans muddied the waters by giving the same name to a fly rod and a carp rod I don't know, but they're both relatively rare. I'd stick it on eBay with a low starting price and let it find its own level.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The " Quinette" range of rods were unique in the UK down to their 5 sided construction of the built cane, so the sections have an internal angle of 72 degrees instead of the usual 60.

Collectable just due to their rarity if nothing else.

BarbelBonce

Post by BarbelBonce »

davyr wrote:Quite why Chapmans muddied the waters by giving the same name to a fly rod and a carp rod I don't know, but they're both relatively rare. I'd stick it on eBay with a low starting price and let it find its own level.
They didn't.
Quinette Mk 6 is a #7-8.
Quinette Mk 7 is a 11', 3-piece heavy bottom rod.
The Quinette Mk 8 is a (nominal) 2lb test curve Carp rod.
The Mk 8 is a really quite rare, very powerful rod. It has 3 important advantages over the 15,000 Mk IVs that were allegedly knocked-out:
Much more collectable.
More powerful, therefore useful in more scenarios
Many fewer (a tenth as many?) inters to whip!

I have it with the obligatory spare tip - you know, the one that is 6" shorter than standard! John Chapman said it took him (at least) a couple of goes to get the replacement full-length top joint right.

[img]Chapman Rod Specifications.

The Quinette Mk 8. 10’ 2 piece Carp rod. 2 lbs. T.C. (5 strip Ledger Rod) 1955 - 1970
Blank specifications 5 strip
Butt section Top section
Half sizes Half sizes
0" .180 0" .060
60” .312 48” .103
60” .172

Cork Handle: 29" x 15/16" with two alloy sliding bands. 15/16" alloy butt cap with 1-1/4" red rubber button.

Ferrule: Brass suction ferrule 7/16"

Guide spacing: As sizes above.

Guide sizes:
Butt : Aqualite 25mm and full open bridge size 9.
Top: full open bridge sizes 6, 5, 4, 3, 3. Size 3 Aqualite tip.

Intermediate wrappings: Butt 2". Top 1½" --- 1¼
Wrappings: Green with copper wire wrappings on butt ring and female ferrule.

Catalogue description: A rod slightly more power than the 6-strip carp yet at the same time being extremely sensitive.

Catalogue comments by Peter Stone: “May I say how pleased I am with your “Quinette” Carp rod which has had a good testing this summer. What really impresses me is its immense power when playing large fish such as carp. Yet the diameter of its tip enables one to detect the finicky bites we often get from chub, barbel, and even dace”. Peter Stone.

[/img]

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The mk8 is a best of a rod and on my list, rare and heavy duty to say the least. Too much for what they are on eBay but hard to find s I might have to bite the bullet :wink:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

PAULC wrote:There is a 10ft MK 8 on E-Bay right now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chapman-Mk8-Q ... 596wt_1151

Hope that link works. Currently it hasn't reached a reserve at £150.

Incidentally my Hunter made £139 and (I think) very nearly sold to someone from this site, unluckily pipped by a less than two pounds in the final seconds.
sorry wasn't aware i was bidding against someone else here but it was me that won it
I have just posted the pics of my other restored one here and i have my eye on the mk8 too :wink:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

PAULC wrote:It was A fair auction. The Rod went in the post this morning I hope you enjoy.

I only recognised the other bidder because he/she (I'd better just in case) has the same E-bay name as they do on this site. A name I happened to recall from some old posts I was reading, But I have no idea who they are.

PS: I obviously meant to say "Brilliantly pipped by in the last few seconds by an unknown buyer"
sniped, and proud of it, got outbid twice and had to add a last 5 second addition to secure. as Nobby may remember from when i went mad and got a Kennet perfection, Avon perfection and my first hunter in the same week , I set a limit and stick to it.....not :wink: sometimes I've just been chasing a rod so long i get fed up loosing them so dig a little deeper. It looks in fair condition and my other one for restoration has a foot missing from the tip section, a suitable second hand tip has eluded me thus far and a new one from Chapmans may be needed. If you come across a 14' version i'd be interested in that too :thumb:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Does anyone have any info on The Quinette Mk9, an eight foot stalking rod ?

BarbelBonce

Post by BarbelBonce »

New one on me, unless its the 10' Mk 8 with rather more than the obligatory 6" off! S'pose mine with the 4' 6" top joint employed is the Mk 8.25.........................or not.
My topcoat is being borne to me by my man, even now.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

barbelbonce wrote:New one on me,
Me to, untill i bought one, i,m going to pick it up tomorrow from Hertford so a trip to Chapmans to get some info. The seller told me he had it made for him by Ron Chapman

Just found this
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/11602/lot/22/

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”