Aspindales Aero No89.

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Aspindales Aero No89.

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Did anyone ever find an Aspindales "Manor works" catalogue. I ask because I have just acquired a Aero No89. I have looked at it very closely with a magnifying lens and it doesn't look like there is anything missing from the number. It doesn't seem to have that feel or sound of being hollow built either but I really can't be certain of that.

Also the tip section has a visually noticeable double taper and steps down quite dramatically from 7.2mm at the ferrule and down to 7mm at 200 mm, then drops suddenly to 6mm over the next 50mm, then down to 5mm over the next 150mm, then a slow steady taper to 3mm at the tip.

The rod is 11ft - 2ins long overall and has three equal 44 inch lengths and is whipped in the usual maroon or wine coloured silk.. The cork handle is 21 inches overall including the rubber button.

I'll post some pics later this week when I have finished stripping it ready for rebuild.
Any information gratefully received.

Wal.
Last edited by Wallys-Cast on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Aspindales Aero No89.

Post by AshbyCut »

Sounds fascinating Wal, Sir. Looking forward to seeing photos !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

An 11 foot 2 inch rod would coincide with an Aero 891, Wal...they seem to be 2 inches longer then the normal 10'6", etc etc.

It'd be easier to recognise it before you strip it........

The only catalogue I've ever heard of was a late one from Peter's time.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Was that the one on a well known auction site?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Thanks Nobby, I stripped the rod last week ready to re-ring etc but here's a couple of pics, one of the script and one of the double taper in the tip, it doesn't show too well but I am sure you will see what I mean. The rod is actually 11ft 2 including the rubber button so only 11ft 1 in.

Olly, I got the rod a few weeks ago from a chap I know who does house clearances.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

My word Wal, Sir ... that compound taper is exciting ! I suspect we'll be seeing photos of it in action at The Old Gravel Pits before too long !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Sorry Wal - I was referring to the Aspindale Catalogue!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

AshbyCut wrote:My word Wal, Sir ... that compound taper is exciting ! I suspect we'll be seeing photos of it in action at The Old Gravel Pits before too long !!!

Mal, I doubt it will be ready for my trip at the end of this month as I am working on another three rods at the moment but I also have a week in September booked so I'll take it with me then, that is if I don't try it somewhere else before then of course.

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Olly wrote:Sorry Wal - I was referring to the Aspindale Catalogue!
Nothing to be sorry for Olly, it's my fault assuming you meant the rod.

Wal.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote:I also have a week in September booked so I'll take it with me then, that is if I don't try it somewhere else before then of course.
Wal, Sir ... in my book September is 'before too long.' :Wink:

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”