Another Precision Rods 2 piece, 8ft 6in fly rod.

The Precision Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Another Precision Rods 2 piece, 8ft 6in fly rod.

Post by AshbyCut »

My Precision Rods obsession grows, so when I saw this rod on a bookshop website for £25 I couldn't resist ... even though I had only recently bought one.

It also bears no model name, but from the photographs it looked identical to the recent addition

It arrived today, and I eagerly took it from the tube ... thinking that at least the bag looked in better condition. The butt and tip guides are re-usable, but the intermediates are badly corroded so will have to be replaced ... when I can find a set of similar shape.

Then, as I put it together and held it for the first time I thought "By Jove, it's as straight as the proverbial die" before ... "Hang on ... this doesn't feel as delicate as the other one."

I hurriedly got the other one out of it's bag and put it together.

The difference was obvious to the eye ... the tapers were different ... though the configuration is identical !

Out with the digital caliper ... and it was proved that my eyesight wasn't playing tricks.

The tapers are :-

A) Butt 801mm (0.315in) to 591mm (0.232in). Tip 550mm (0.216in) to 226mm (0.089in)
B) Butt 903mm (0.355in) to 697mm (0.274in). Tip 617mm (0.243in) to 250mm (0.098in)

Now ... I know nothing about fly rods ... but maybe you knowledgeable Ladies and Gentlemen could either confirm or deny my thinking that the thinner taper would probably be for a 4/5 weight line ... and the thicker a 6/7 weight line ??? I await your thoughts with eager anticipation.

Image Image Image

Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Old Man Oakley
Roach

Re: Another Precision Rods 2 piece, 8ft 6in fly rod.

Post by Old Man Oakley »

Dear AC

No way of telling apart from putting a line through them. But it is likely the finer the taper the thinner the corresponding line.

Spurred on by TFF and all things cane, I have just secured a kingfisher silk line on Ebay, I will bring it along to the Lemington outing if you fancy having a go!

Regards

OMO
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

Nol78

Re: Another Precision Rods 2 piece, 8ft 6in fly rod.

Post by Nol78 »

You best option, to know for sure is indeed find someone with a few different lines and try them out.
I looked at the tapers of different rods on hexrod , and you rod (A) seems a bit tip heavy compared to other #4 or #5 rods.

Your other rod (B) seems about the right taper for a #7 but could be a #8 also.

Remember that for less experienced caster, most rods feel better with a line that is 1 line higher then intended.
So if the rod is a #5 it would be easyer to cast a #6 line with it.

On the site in the link there are multiple rods if you like to compare.

http://www.hexrod.net/Tapers/index.html#walker

Nol

Return to “Precision Cane Rods”