Landing Net Handle - "Nodes"

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Barbulus
Tench

Landing Net Handle - "Nodes"

Post by Barbulus »

As a result of being the fortunate recipient of some ferrules that were very kindly offered, I have at last bitten the bullet, or at least got the hacksaw out of the garage, and cut in half a piece of bamboo that I had in the shed keeping a "Badger" rod holdall upright. By a remarkable coincidence, the diameter of the bamboo is precisely that of the two ferrules so my need for a lightweight two piece landing net handle 5 ' long might, if I do not mess this up, just might at last come to be met.

The following photographs shows where I am this afternoon, courtesy of one saw cut, a light sanding, and the temporary fitting of the two ferrules. Next will be straightening the cane a little. However, while the cane itself is a little damaged in places the main issue for me is what to do about the bamboo "nodes". There are nine of them in total and they are quite pronounced. What does one do ? Hit them with a hammer or sand them smooth before a coat of varnish ? Image

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Landing Net Handle - "Nodes"

Post by Beresford »

I have a 5' 6" handle that I bought from a stand at a Redditch Fair many years ago. The nodes have been filed down to a 'bump' and then nicely whipped over with silk. The varnish job has really withstood the test of time. I have no idea who the seller was.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have made a few handles and I simply used a rasp file then sand paper then applied whippings
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Loop Erimder wrote:I have made a few handles and I simply used a rasp file then sand paper then applied whippings
+1
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Thank you gentlemen. A rasp and sandpaper it is then tomorrow !

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Would a file be a more controllable way of reducing just the node?
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Beresford wrote:Would a file be a more controllable way of reducing just the node?
I used a rasp file as it took the nodes down quicker. Especially if they are quite high a plain file took ages literally seconds with the rasp then paper to smooth
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Beresford wrote:Would a file be a more controllable way of reducing just the node?
If you are worried about control, it is possible to do it all with sandpaper. On the first one I did, I used 60 grit aluminium oxide paper (the yellow stuff). Then finished off with some finer grades. Just because I was worried about taking too much off. Subsequently, I have been using a rough file and sandpaper
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

For what it's worth, any I have made I have pressed the nodes flat as part of the heating and straightening process then dressed them with a file and sandpaper for a cosmetic finish.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Just back from Lacock Abbey where on returning to the car park I find the National Trust Car Parking "attendant" in his Hi Viz Orange jacket thought it was OK to sit ON my car wing while chatting to his "mate" and no-one looking - Unbelievable despite the apology - what some people think is OK - also worrying to think how the gene pool is being depleted as the years go by - well done the National Trust at Lacock - shan't be returning there in a hurry - however - to get back on thread away from the NT "lowlife" - I have just taken a low speed drill with medium circular sand pad and quickly flattened the "nodes". Very effective ! Unfortunately not enough whipping thread in the "come in handy" box so the next stage will have to wait...

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”