Dating a Speedia

The Speedia Reels forum.
Keston
Tench

Dating a Speedia

Post by Keston »

Having read quite a few Speedia threads there seems to be some interest and curiosity over the dates of manufacture of Speedia models , It appears little is known on the subject ? Is it not common for Speedia boxes to be dated ?
I have what I think is a first version (As opposed to improved) MK 4 with a box dated 1951 .
Does this sound about right and does anyone else have a dated Speedia ?
Regards
John

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Dating a Speedia

Post by Nobby »

There really is very, very little known about WR Products and Speedias. We know the address given was a domestic house, presumably with a workshop attached, we know they supplied rod fittings as well as making reels, some believe they supplied B.James, who indeed weren't far away.

I've seen a fair few Speedia boxes and they all seem to have contained Mark 2 or Mark 4 reels and if the reels in the boxes were the correct ones they were all late reels with the three screws holding a central boss in place of the spool.

Earlier reels had a silver metal 'pill' as a boss and earlier still reels varied enormously in handle, paint and spool lightening holes all different.

Having handled a very early one I think they were at that time hand-made by a really exceptional engineer, later reels seem more of a production line effort built on cast bodiest...maybe the next generation in the family...?

I've yet to see their reels in anybody else's catalogues, or any written reference to them whatsoever.

If your reel truly was a 1951 model it would suggest the firm just might be a bit older than we all supposed. Is it a three screw boss model, or a pill?

https://talesbytheriverbank.files.wordp ... -00623.jpg

http://englishflyreel.com/images/SPEEDI ... %20002.JPG

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Hi Nobby
It is indeed one of the earlier "pill" models . I did a fair bit of info searching and came to the conclusion it was probably a first version mk 4 from reading on Chavenders centrepins .yuku site.
Another thing I found interesting is it has neither an attached brass foot (not expected)nor an ally mouded one piece with the backplate . This one appears to be a screwed on ally foot.
Kind regards
John

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Always amazes me that there is so little known about the origin of these reels given their popularity, and
quantity that seem to have been made.

Tried Googling a few times and it always draws a blank, even a tenuous linking to Westley Richards seems
improbable.

Maybe a part of why they are sought after.
niceroach

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

i'm afraid any lasting trace will have gone now ,as there was a workshop that ran parallel to boscombe road to the rear ,its front was behind the postal address and rear at the next side street .you used to be able too see it on early google earth ,but that's been re developed now and appears to be a home or nursey as theres a playground next too it on the latest google streetview.and I heard of someone who went there to pick up some reels when they started making them .he brought 2 mk1's ,there line lays buckled (as was there way being too thin) he then brought two later ones .

I have a early model mk1 (the foot is a very light colour but brass) ,and its defiantly machined rather than cast and very light so was probably made from good quality alloy .as I say the line lays let it down being very thin .I don't think this version was produced for long ,the next version was cast back and spool front .I think its no coincidence that one of the nearby roads was called furnace road ,I think too keep the costs down and speed up production they switched to cast parts then finished them in the workshop .the box's are marked gp mk11 or gp mkIV ,gp being general purpose reel mkII or mkIV (apart from a blue box ,they're always been marked as this never seen another box marked differently .I don't think they kept to any order and you got the box you got ,I think the mkII belongs too the early model range and the mkIV the later improved model range .

I have a early model mkII as well (with a buttery coloured brass foot) ,and its quite different from the first model's foot much deeper in colour ,its hard too precisely date them as theres no records too check ,but it was thought fifties till early eighties (declared bankrupt in 86) but 51 would fit nicely .

it'd be nice if your box had something other than GP mkII or GPmkIV on it as well ,there could of been more versions of the early model speedia from the first model to the third they seem to be a lot of small changes (probably trying different things out) hence yours having a alloy foot .

photo of my two early model speedia's mkI & mkII

as you can see theres a big difference in the colouring of the foots ,from a pale silvery brass too a more coppery brass .yours could be a very light brass or indeed a alloy veriant .you'd have too scratch it to find out for sure.
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

In my day you use to meet a girl down the local pub or disco none of this speedia dating mularkey
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

On Google Earth, there is a scrolling timeline at the bottom of the aerial photograph. It might be possible to scroll back to the days of the workshop and then use the Windows Snipping tool to cut out and save the image...???

The idea of an early reel being a Mark IV seems a bit wrong to me, but who knows...?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

To be honest I have no idea what the foot is made of , there is little paint loss on the foot so just the odd light grey / silvery patch showing.
This one does have the "pill " type front and riveted handles.
Sadly there is only General purpose on the box (at least I think thats what it says ) and no MK designation.
Chavender wrote:
I have a early model mk1 (the foot is a very light colour but brass) ,and its defiantly machined rather than cast and very light so was probably made from good quality alloy .

it'd be nice if your box had something other than GP mkII or GPmkIV on it as well ,there could of been more versions of the early model speedia from the first model to the third they seem to be a lot of small changes (probably trying different things out) hence yours having

as you can see theres a big difference in the colouring of the foots ,from a pale silvery brass too a more coppery brass .yours could be a very light brass or indeed a alloy veriant .you'd have too scratch it to find out for sure.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

sounds like yours has the light brass foot ,that's the only box i've seen with general purpose written in full on it ,so quite rare ,I prefer the early versions as they're great light trotting reels

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

yeh ,nobby I beleave the GPmkIV box's are what the later improved model's came in & only the deluxe would be denoted differently ,they didn't define the difference between the base model and the optional drag model ,only the triple checked deluxe is marked differently on the box or some later ones by a blue box

Keston's box is indicative of a mkI box (first model & some early mkII's perhaps) ,being written rather than abridged to GP ,I know you don't see many of the mkIII models that first gave the option of wide or narrow spooled versions i'd presumed its because like the very first model it was a short run ,before they went to the ( mkIv ) improved model and none or very few mkIII box's survived ,much like the mkI box's .one day i'll see a mkIII box.

one thing that does puzzle is when you see a improved model which should be in a gpmkIV box is shown with a mkII box .did a owner get the wrong box from new or added the box later to replace a lost one ?? .

If i'd lived in shepards bush area several years ago I would of gone around to the workshop /sales address to check things out properly and try too do some local research at the library and get some firm proof of things ,but I live hundreds of miles away and never got the chance to visit the area .and now too much has changed/been lost it will remain patchey information wise .

(Ps .Im sure I captured the images of the old workshop but not sure if they survived a hd crash .but i'll check out the timeline feature to see if I can capture the images again .when I find time)

Return to “Speedia Reels”