R. Walker and Roach

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Mark99
Perch

R. Walker and Roach

Post by Mark99 »

Some will remember the catch of roach caught by Dick which included 14 two pounders. I seem to recall the catch came from the river Hiz at Hitchin Priory (I think reference was made in Sandgropers "Days with Dick" book).

I guess this was the scene of the action?

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.943721 ... a=!3m1!1e3

I've not seen the Hiz although it appears to have suffered terribly from abstraction and was only a small stream anyway - but the section above shows it looks artificially made wider. I guess the roach are now long gone.

Anyway, I enjoy reading anything from Walker re roach although it's bittersweet as now-days the rivers / streams as written about (Herts) are either abstracted to death and/or denuded by winged type predation.

I'm seeking any references/scraps to more "Walker on Roach" although I think I may have read most of them. Any pointers appreciated.

Old Nell

Re: R. Walker and Roach

Post by Old Nell »

The Hiz has suffered although there are still pockets of decent roach and perch further downstream. I've fished it a couple of times and you can easily imagine the river it once was. Unfortunately this is now the pattern on most of the Herts chalkstreams. I would love to explore the Beane ,Rib , Mimram but believe they've either suffered beyond help or the few stretches that are worth investigation are in the hands of the super elite. On a brighter note some of the extreme upper Lea is producing some cracking roach to over 3lb and even a few grayling and is a lovely place where it is looked after.
Regards Mark

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

Just remembered a book that may be of interest. Ken Whitehead's Fishing in Hertfordshire & Essex. Think it was early 60s. Has some info on Walkers great catches of roach and dace from the Beane & Mimram. Must dig it out.
Mark

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I did a lot of research on Walker's roach catches for Big Roach. There are prints of the Angling Times reporting his Hiz catch in the book. There are a few contradictions about his claimed catches and no real chance to ever find the truth. His Hiz catch was more than 14 2lbers in that the second keepnet had this many but the first one that split was an unknown quantity but conceivable it held upwards of another ten 2lbers. His Beane catches were over a period of about 5 years and total in the order of 30 over 2lbs. Exact details of his Lea catches as a youth almost impossible to quantify.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Does anyone have any information on these floats?

My understanding is that this was a special float designed or used by Dick Walker in the Lily Pad Hole on the River Beane. See also Fred J Taylor's book Favourite Swims.

The float on the right was owned by Bernard Venables and the copy on the left by Andrew Field. Comparing the original with some floats apparently made by Walker, there is a chance this one was too (looking at paint, thread colour etc.).

If anyone can shed any light I should be grateful.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Somewhere in my archives I have an Angling Times Article by Walker with a drawing by Walker and full description but not much chance of finding it without going up in the loft. From memory it was fished lift style with a single shot. I also recall the body being at the base of the float not half way up but possible the float had several incarnations.

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

All of this talk about Richard Walker and Roach made me think of a wonderful article written by the man himself for the first ever edition of 'Fishing' magazine (February 22nd 1963). This two page article makes wonderful reading if only for the caption that accompanies the 'Brace +1' (Trace?!) of roach which reads 'A leash of Kennet Roach.....but these are no "water-sheep"....'

Just wonderful!

Kind regards,

Mark

Incidentally if you're interested in getting an original copy of this article, then I have a good condition edition currently on flea-bay (Item ID: 331394766039)
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Tengisgol wrote:Does anyone have any information on these floats?

My understanding is that this was a special float designed or used by Dick Walker in the Lily Pad Hole on the River Beane. See also Fred J Taylor's book Favourite Swims.

The float on the right was owned by Bernard Venables and the copy on the left by Andrew Field. Comparing the original with some floats apparently made by Walker, there is a chance this one was too (looking at paint, thread colour etc.).

If anyone can shed any light I should be grateful.

A copy of a float by Andrew Field? I thought he Never copied! :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

RBTraditional wrote:
A copy of a float by Andrew Field? I thought he Never copied! :Hahaha:
He's a mate but I still had to bribe him...

I wanted to try using the float but couldn't risk losing Bernard's original. Got some tench on it too!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Totally understand Tengisol, my mate Kev has Peter Stones tackle box with his float collection and often uses it when we fish, Petes old plumet gets used everytime we float fish on stillwaters, it always worrie sme that one day it'll end up getting snagged and lost............ :doh:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Dick Walker”