Grayling on the Anton

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Grayling on the Anton

Post by Santiago »

Going to the Anton next weekend fly fishing for Grayling, as part of a treat for my son's 21st. Any pointers chaps!!

I must get practicing my fly casting! I have to admit I've not picked up my fly rod since my accident in early May, so I have this weekend and a few evening hours next week to remedy this! But as we will be nymphing I'm not too worried!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Badger
Grayling

Re: Grayling on the Anton

Post by Badger »

Santiago,

I am sure you will have a wonderful time on the Anton. I have been fortunate to fish a number of different beats on this lovely river for both Trout and Grayling.

Nymph wise, I would recommend 3 patterns as follows;

Copper John

Golden Nugget flashback PTN

Sawyer Killer bug

I would fish the killer bug on point and either of the other nymphs on a dropper a couple of feet above on a 10 foot leader if its not too windy and practice the induced take. Have fun and post some piccies :Wink:
"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Badger. I will post pics for sure! I've only ever caught one grayling on fly before and that was on the Lambourn on a hard stretch. Luckily I'm going to a good beat and with an expert so I will have no excuse for not catching!

Hemingway

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Santiago, I know the Anton well, nice underrated tributary.
If it is warm and sunny you should see some fly hatch, so don't discount the dry fly, grayling are well know for the winter rising to a dry fly. This time of the year I would use a 16-18 CDC dry fly with confidence, of course you could use dry versions of the old traditional patterns like red tag, grayling witch, treacle parkin etc.
Enjoy :Thumb:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks, my friend says he has a secret weapon for me to use, a new type of fly. But I'll take my grayling flies as backup!

Hemingway

Return to “Other Rivers”