Sussex Ouse Common

This forum is for discussing carp.
Hexapin
Bleak

Sussex Ouse Common

Post by Hexapin »

Went back to a nice spot on the Ouse this morning where I had a large barbell 2 weeks ago.
I baited up the same swim and presented the same hook bait in the same spot as last time. Within 10 minutes a fish was on the hook bait, a nice strong run and fight and I landed a easily double figure Barbel. In lovely condition. Not as long and large as the previous Barbel but a bigger girth and well fed up.

Second cast with fresh bait, a fish took on the drop and gave me the best fight I ever had on a small river, it felt like a good 10 minutes. To my surprise I landed a lower double common. How did a carp of this size get into this swim. It must have been put here, I do believe for a minute that a small carp made its way up stream in a flood and then decided to never leave this small weir pool for the rest of its life.

Anyway, its a beautiful fat fish that put up a stonking fight. Sorry about the horrible composition on my phone but here is a pic.

Regards,
20140704_071518 (640x360).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GazTheAngler

Re: Sussex Ouse Common

Post by GazTheAngler »

Nice fish Hex

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Very nice, both fish hexapin. Perhaps the common got introduced during the winter floods?
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

carp artist, you might be right but the carp artist as the floods were extensive but I just seems a little hard to imagine. then again, game fish are able to navigate the smallest streams with seemingly way up them. It would also explain how strong the fish having been one of the only carp to make it up that far.

Hexapin
Bleak

Post by Hexapin »

furthermore I really need to learn how to take a decent photo..

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Excellent stuff Hex, very well done! I love fishing rivers for carp, tench and barbel, well off the beaten track,often never see anyone else, I'm targeting an area on the upper Medway at the mo for some big old berties that have probably never seen a hook.......you just never know do you? The mystery and the magic...........just brilliant!
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Hugo Curgudgeon

Post by Hugo Curgudgeon »

RBTraditional wrote:Excellent stuff Hex, very well done! I love fishing rivers for carp, tench and barbel, well off the beaten track,often never see anyone else, I'm targeting an area on the upper Medway at the mo for some big old berties that have probably never seen a hook.......you just never know do you? The mystery and the magic...........just brilliant!

Absolutely!

Regards,

Hugo

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Hexapin.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Delightful. Great write up and fish too !

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Great result Hexapin :Thumb:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”