Sucess at last

This forum is for discussing carp.
Necarper

Sucess at last

Post by Necarper »

Third time out on the new water and made it an early start, was set up and in the water by 5.30, temperature was still cool. Some signs of carp routing in the bottom and a few topping round the margins so went for a small waggler about a rod length out. Not much happening so set up a tip rod with a small bomb. Only 10 minutes in the water and the tip flicked followed by line being stripped off at a great rate of knots. Eventually got in under control but it went straight into the reeds and shed the hook. Rebaited and back in almost immediately a run and the same again. Changed up to a bigger hook and once more in to the water. 20 minutes and another run, this time I managed to steer it clear of the reeds and get it to the net. A nice common just shy of 6 pounds. As this is a virgin water only opened for fishing a couple of months ago, I'm still playing with baits, but these three went for a cocktail of a good slice of tiger prawn between some corn. By 10 the temperature had shot up to 23C and the bites dropped off as did all activity. At least now I am getting a feel for the water, be back as soon as I can.

Interesting to see the tail fin..... a good chunk taken out of it, if a predator is going after a 6lb carp must be a good sized one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Sucess at last

Post by Loop Erimder »

Very nice well done :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Well done, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Well done that nan.
Bumble

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Great fishing - nice one!

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

A great start....possibly a mink do you think for the tail damage ? I had one similar last week and came to that conclusion.....as for "Tiger Prawn"...I really like "Tiger Prawn" on the BBQ......it is a great bait though as well....

Necarper

Post by Necarper »

Barbulus wrote:possibly a mink do you think for the tail damage ?
We don't have many mink here in this part of New York state, but you could be on the right lines, a lot of otters in my local rivers and still waters
Last edited by Necarper on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Great start at a new water :Thumb:
I believe the tail damage would suggest mink or otter
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”