9:30 Carp

This forum is for discussing carp.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

9:30 Carp

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Thursday 22 May - The weather is perfect for carp fishing, a strong south-westerly wind and heavy showers are forecast for the afternoon. After a leisurely breakfast I am off to the 'monster' lake. Hopefully I will have the lake to myself all day. I have chosen my pair of Bruce and Walker Mk IV G Carp rods and a couple of Mitchell 300 reels. The bait will be luncheon meat. I must remember to take the bait with me. I must also remember to take the reels. The day has been planned in advance. There will be no last minute decisions. I am going to spend the whole day at the lake, relaxing with plenty of food and drink. The wind is getting stronger and the sky is very grey, I think the ‘monsters’ will be moving about. I’ve pre-baited a shallow bay for the last four evenings. A tin of luncheon meat cut into ½” cubes was scattered around a lily bed each evening. The diving ducks will probably have eaten most of it.

Pre-baiting Sunday evening

I arrived at the lake earlier than planned, I couldn't wait until lunch time; somebody might steal my swim. The swim looked perfect. I saw a carp roll in the area I had pre-baited. I took my time setting up the rods and reels but I still managed to miss a ring. I was very quiet and kept away from the water. I took the memory out of the fluorocarbon reel lines by casting a lead along the bank and winding back through a wet cloth. I tied the hooks on carefully, eased the knots down and double checked them. While I was doing that a carp rolled directly under my rod tip, scary. I baited up both hooks with a big piece of meat and put one rod in the rests while I cast with the other. First cast was right on target, in the bay next to the lilies. The fluorocarbon sunk quickly, I put the rod in the rests and adjusted the indicator on a monkey climber made from dead Willow Herb stem, very natural and low tech.

2 x Bruce and Walker with Mitchell 300

Indicators and low tech monkey climbers

Before I retired to my seat, the right hand indicator shot up and I was into a carp that wanted to be the other side of the lake. It got there in a few seconds. Why do I always follow the fish without my net ? I do it every time. It was a silly mistake. I waded around bushes, passed the line over a small willow tree and eventually got closer to the fish. It was in the middle of a lily bed. After much pulling and splashing about in the margins, I cuddled it to my chest and lifted it out. I took it back to my swim and put it in the landing net. I was embarrassed to be placing the carp in my landing net; nobody was looking. The fish was a nice leather carp. It rested for a few minutes before posing for photos, it weighed 23lb exactly and swum off strongly.

Leather carp - 23lb

It was only 9:30am, everything was a mess and the swim was trashed. I sat down for a rest and some jam doughnuts. I ate the whole bag of doughnuts. It seemed the right thing to do. I re-baited and cast both baits near to the lily bed. After 30 minutes I had a line bite so the carp were still around. I think it might be a long wait until the next fish.

The American bullfrogs are shouting at each other across the lake and I have just had another line bite. While replacing the bait I noticed some damage to the reel line so I cut that off and tied the hook again. There's no point in buying expensive line and losing a fish through sloppy technique. I put a fresh piece of meat on and cast nearer to the lilies. With the fish moving around the bay I'm hopeful of another monster carp before Lunch. Her Ladyship is bringing a picnic; yum yum. It's a beautiful day with a warm wind and cloudy sky, very heavy rain is forecast for later and I can see the storm clouds building. I’ve just had two more line bites, when I struck the last one there was a big swirl under my rod tip so I moved the bait even closer to the bank. Scary to think there might be a 'forty' so close. The temperature is dropping and the wind is changing direction, it will rain within the hour.

storm arriving

It did rain but it was only a shower, the sun and wind have dried me, chocolate biscuits have sustained my concentration. The carp appear to have deserted the bay for their siesta. The wind is very strong , an oak tree behind me is making some strange noises and the willows are showing the silvery undersides to their leaves, a sure sign of rain. This is the time of day when nothing carpy happens and I am tempted to try different tactics or move to another part of the lake. I have the lake to myself but experience tells me not to wander about, the carp will return in the evening. Until then I will watch the swifts and the young mallard chicks. The water is clouding up as the wind piles up the waves. I've sunk my rod tips so the passing debris doesn't cause the indicators to rise. The sun keeps peeping out from behind the clouds but it’s not hot enough to take my jacket off. I am willing the indicators to rise but they just sit there and ignore me. It’s time for another chocolate biscuit. Or two.

I'm using the 'notes' function on my iPhone to write this, none of this fountain pen and notepad malarky, it's too windy and wet. I email every page to myself in case the Apple technology conks out. A change of bait is required. I find that luncheon meat goes white and hardens after about an hour in the water, it stops oozing fat and looks unappetizing. I think bigger lumps of bait are necessary, a forty pounder has a big mouth. I use an apple corer to cut pieces of luncheon meat out of the tin, it forms a little cylinder that fits a carp’s mouth nicely. The casting weight is also easy to control by slicing the right amount off the cylinder of meat. Perfect timing, the baits were in position just before a squall of wind arrived with thunder, lightening and torrential rain. The lily pads are being flipped over by the wind. I had just settled down to make some notes and my rod flew off the rests, missed it. Damn. I vowed not to fiddle about with my iPhone when I should be watching the indicators. That could have been my second carp of the day. Time out.

OK, order has been restored. You may well ask why I am still making notes, I'm a slow learner. I've scaled up one rod, bigger hook, bigger bait and positioned it very close to the lily bed. The other bait is about 3 rod lengths out with a small piece of meat, we will see which goes first. I think I'm in for another long wait. I will put my phone away for the rest of the day.

Nothing happened until the picnic arrived. Sausage roll, Mars bar, banana and juice. While we were chatting, the indicator on my right rod shot up and I fell off my chair trying to reach the rod ! Amateur half hour. During the early evening I had a series of runs but could not connect with any of them, it was very frustrating. The indicators would shoot up to the rod but when I struck there was nothing there.

At about 9:15pm I decided to start packing up, no night fishing allowed. I always leave the rods until last. While I was folding up my chair, the clutch on my right hand rod screamed and I lifted into a fish that made a long run into the centre of the lake. Hurrah, it was clear of the lilies for a change. Then it charged back towards the bank, around a tree branch and into a thick lily bed. Everything went solid. I tried all the usual tricks but it wouldn’t move. I pointed the rod down the line to get a direct pull, there was a crack and everything went slack. Damn, another fish lost. I started to reel in the slack line and the rod bucked. The fish went back out into the lake. The crack I had heard was a twig breaking, freeing the line and giving the fish a bit of room to move. I bullied the fish away from the lily beds and into the landing net. It was 9:30pm when I weighed the fish; it was exactly 23lb. Spooky, same time and the same weight as the first fish.

Common/Ghost carp 23lb

The fish had a very badly deformed mouth (parrot mouth) and I think that may have been the reason why I had missed so many runs, she couldn’t get a large bait in her mouth. It was a common with a touch of Ghost Carp or Koi mixed in. I was fortunate to get these fish on the bank. The photos are not very good. I need a ghillie.

I arrived home exhausted, wet and muddy. It was a truly relaxing day.

WindJammer

Re: 9:30 Carp

Post by WindJammer »

"I ate the whole bag of doughnuts. It seemed the right thing to do."

Great line and a great write up too, I enjoyed that little journey.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Splendid welldone, cracking rods too :Thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think that noting it down on the ipad then sending it home by email is what exactly what Isaak Walton used to do :tea:

Nice day's fishing and a lovely looking water, it show's that leaving the rods to the last second can work. :Thumb:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Lovely write up although I do feel like I had about 500 calories just reading it!

Well done!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Superb account, lovely pictures (as always) and some cracking carp well done :Hat:
Best Fishes
Mushy

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Great write-up and two very large carp caught very traditionally. :Hat:

You are really lucky to have access to a nice lake that has carp to 40 lbs and you are the only angler there.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Thanks guys,

The doughnuts and biscuits and picnic and toffees and beer and Red Bull certainly racked up the calories. I don't normally eat that much while fishing, I think it was because I was nervous.

Loop, those rods are just the tool for this type of fishing, they have fantastic reserves of power.

Julian, the lake only contains large carp, nothing under 20lb. Last week it produced 37lb and a 29lb fish. No night fishing, no boilies, no nuts or seeds - that keeps the bivvy brigade away. Margin fishing consistently produces fish, hurling a 2oz lead at the horizon means a blank. Not an easy water, its a heart breaker if you don't know it well.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

I love the indicators! Nicely done...
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

PoD,

I try to cut a small slot through the rushes and plants, just wide enough for my rods. It was pure luck that suitable stems happened to be under the rods. It was good to improvise from natural materials, I'll probably try and arrange something similar in future, it made me smile all day !

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”