Beaulite 3 1/2" fly reel for sale . . .

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Beaulite 3 1/2" fly reel for sale . . .

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I have a Shakespeare Beaulite 3 1/2" fly reel which has been unused for many years. I don't like it because it is too heavy.
I was about to list it on ebay but it occurred to me that it could be converted to a centrepin just by adding bars to lay the line on.

The spool is well ventilated and has 8 rows of radial holes on both plates and they are exactly opposite each other. The photo below shows what I mean, see the little red circle.

If I carefully file the green enamel from the inside of each hole and buy some brass or aluminium tubing of the correct diameter, I might be able to convert the reel for margin carp fishing. What do you think ?

I tried this a long time ago on another reel and after much DIY grief it was consigned to the bin.

I don't have a lathe or Dremmel but I do have a lot of time, what would you do ? Sell it or convert it ?
Last edited by Nigel Rainton on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wandler

Re: Fly reel conversion, what do you think ?

Post by Wandler »

This is a lovely fly reel probably made by J W Young for Shakespeare. (I am prepared to be corrected if necessary!) It looks to be in absolutely superb condition too.

If it were mine and I wanted to be rid of it I would offer it first at a fair price to someone on TFF who wanted to start out in fly fishing. The trouble is finding out what a fair price is as on auction sites they sometimes go for crazy prices. Maybe one of the real reel experts on the forum could give some indication of a fair price for this reel.

This is such a good reel it would be a pity to ruin it with (self-confessed!) poor DIY skills.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

If you have the skill then why not or you could ask Watermole+ for advice if anyone knows he's the gentleman to ask.......have you seen his reels
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Wandler/Loop,

:-) my DIY skills are not in the same league as Watermole+ who could probably convert it into a work of art.

It is in pristine condition and offering it to TFF members might be a good compromise.

I have changed the title of the post but now its in the wrong place, could a moderator move it please ? :-)

Nailbourne

Re: Fly reel for sale to TFF members, make me an offer . . .

Post by Nailbourne »

SS - don't convert it, please! The Beaulite was made by Young's, as an upgrade for the Beaudex. Not as well made, but it did have an exposed rim for control. I own one (and two Speedexes) and they're good fly reels.
The main objection to conversion is that the check is permanently 'on' - there's no on/off button. Also, it's not really a heavy reel. For what you sell it for, you could buy a more appropriate reel not needing any work done on it. Perhaps a Strike Right 'Tideflow' or Young's 'Windex' - both have adjustable drags. You can't Wallis-cast with them, though!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Fly reel for sale to TFF members, make me an offer . . .

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Nailbourne,

Rest easy, I won't convert it :-) As you can see from the photo, I moved the two ratchet pawls out of the way so there is no check !

I will put another photo up showing the reel assembled and give it a week on the forum. No reasonable offer refused, first come first served. Anyone can PM with an offer.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Beaulite 3 1/2" fly reel for sale . . .

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I've edited this post to include more photos. If any TFF member wants to make an offer, please PM me before next Monday, then it goes on ebay :-)

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Beaulite 3 1/2" fly reel for sale . . .

Post by Nigel Rainton »

How about £10 and £3 p and p :-)

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”