Materials for Float Tubes??

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Arnold9801
Stickleback

Materials for Float Tubes??

Post by Arnold9801 »

Hi Everyone..

Since I am new to Float making, I am finding already that I am even now starting to accumulate a number of floats. Storage and transportation is a thought which is`nt difficult to address in terms of what to use, but the artistic element within me causes me to want to have a go at making a float tube with some real finnese.

I am not saying I am capable of producing exhibits to the standard of some of the fine craftsmen on this forum, but they sure as hell inspire and drive me/others (no doubt) to want to have a go.

Due to this is anyone able to outline where they get the large sections of wide diameter bamboo from?

Also the metal end caps? Are these individually turned from a section of cylinder or bought as already turned blanks or are derived from something else they were originally made for??

I would love to know, as I love the ornamental aspect of the float tubes and would excel in letting my imagination fuel my own personal designs for these.

I am new to this forum and the hobby of float making, but have to say that the work exhibited by members on this forum really does drive me. Its such a shame work takes up so much of our time that could be spent on relaxing hobbies such as this!

Regards

Arnold9801
The Danger, is not aiming to High and failing, but aiming to Low and achieving.

MGs
Pike

Re: Materials for Float Tubes??

Post by MGs »

The large diameter cane can be sourced from B&Q. However, I have had some problems with this splitting over time as it dries.

As for the caps. For the bottom, I have been cutting the cane below a node and using the natural barrier as the bottom surface. The tops I have been shaping from cork sanding block. All you need is a saw, file and sandpaper.
I'm not too precious about my tackle so they don't look as pretty as others but do a turn. I'd be scared to use a posh one as I would certainly damage it
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

For caps you can buy wide diameter corks online. Details are somewhere in the float making section. I'm using my mobile so cannot find and paste!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Barney
Grayling

Post by Barney »

check out The for sale and swap thread

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110782177984? ... 1439.l2649

This is where you can buy wide diameter corks from.

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Try insence stick tubes from ebay. The ones I bought are no longer listed!

Hemingway

Arnold9801
Stickleback

Post by Arnold9801 »

Many Thanks for your replies everyone.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

As I live all the way down in Penzance, I am slighlty out of touch with most suppliers. I understand they can be posted but that really tops-up the price.

I will have a gork down at my local B&Q. I have got a corker of a wood lathe, and will be looking at expanding my use of the "babe." Since I have taken up Float making, its never had so much use.

The float tubes are an extension of the float making and I would love to hear from anyone who has used a wood-turning lathe for long boring of wood to make tubes this way??

I have just seen an article on float tubes posted on other tackle where they have made one from a Wilkinson rolling pin which looks great, though the centre hole was drilled out.

Thanks again

Arnold9801
The Danger, is not aiming to High and failing, but aiming to Low and achieving.

Barney
Grayling

Post by Barney »

here's a pic of 2 bored out float tubes one in yew the other in either london plain or lime Image Image Image Image

Barney

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”