Alternatives to Varnish

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Alternatives to Varnish

Post by LuckyLuca »

What, excuse my ignorance, is the difference between varnish and lacquer?
Basically the same thing I thought?
I think I'm probably going to try either bees wax or an oil.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

I wouldn't rely on Linseed oil as a finish. From all that I've read it provides very little protection at all. Same with Tung oil.

see: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1987/feist87a.pdf

I have used Birchwood Casey 'Tru-oil' successfully but that dries with a hard finish similar to a varnish. It's easy to apply, relatively cheap and dries quickly but you need numerous coats.

Pete

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

LuckyLuca wrote:What, excuse my ignorance, is the difference between varnish and lacquer?
Basically the same thing I thought?
I think I'm probably going to try either bees wax or an oil.
Yeah much of a muchness - but two different subtances, - possibly an expert will explain the differences better than my
limited knowledge.
niceroach

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm no expert, but I think varnishes were oil-based and laquers were made from other substances, such as shellac and the like. I think the lines are blurred nowadays and both words mean the same thing.

MHC

Post by MHC »

Just a late thought , there are rodmakers who use built up layers of tung oil on their rods to good effect.

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

I think the Scottie brand rods were made from cane impregnated with phenolic resin, obviating the need for varnish or lacquer on the rod except for the whippings.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

MHC wrote:Just a late thought , there are rodmakers who use built up layers of tung oil on their rods to good effect.
That's interesting as the original article I read (http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1987/feist87a.pdf) listed tung oil as being poor at excluding moisture but significantly, their experiments only used up to 3 coats.

In a bit of further reading (Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner) I came across his comments on tung oil as "having poor protection until five or more coats" are used. So although easy to apply it does appear important to use repeated layers as you say.

Pete

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Just bought some Danish Oil and it says on the bottle to use min. of 4 applications for outdoor protection, and I'm now experimenting with it on an old piece of cane. The first coats soaked in within minutes and it looks on initial use a much better way of protecting cane than Yacht varnish, plus you get absolutely no ripples etc. because it dries/ soaks so quickly. My plan for a rod refurb is to lacquer the whippings and then apply multiple coats of Danish oil. This process should be much quicker than using varnish that takes an age to dry, and the whippings will not darken!! I hope!!!!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Steve,
Ronseal floor varnish is very quick drying and rock hard so it would be ideal for bank sticks, handles etc, I think its available in a satin finish too so wouldn't look too glossy. I dont know how flexible it is so it maybe no good on rods. Worth a look into though.

Wal.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Cheers Wal. I ended up sticking with Ronseal outdoor wood varnish in the end. Not quite what I'd intended but pleasing and well protected.

I do like BFs idea of layering oil. I have some heavy duty 6'lendths of cane from some old beach casters I picked up. If I get around to making another net handle I may just give it a go.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”